
While I get homesick for the US fairly often, one of the advantages to living in Europe and specifically Norway, is the vacation allotment. Husband has roughly six weeks, plus sick days and this year, because of Elliot's arrival he also has the "Papa Permission," which is another huge sum of weeks of paternity leave.
I'm leaving that vague, not because I don't know, but because I don't want this to become a discussion of the family system in Scandinavia vs the US. But I do mention it, because, without it, visiting home would immensely hard.
Door to door to either San Francisco or Sacramento, both cities close enough for the Durel family visit, is nine time zones and 22 hours.
Door to door to Atlanta, where we fly into for my family would be six time zones and about 18 hours door to door.
Also, for those unfamiliar with US geography, Georgia and California are on opposite ends of the country---four time zones and a six hour flight.
So as you can imagine, scheduling anything gets complicated.
For most visits, we can only manage one location or the other, but because this is Elliot's big debut, we want to stop on both coasts. His California family has not met him yet. And most of his Georgia family hasn't either.
We also are homesick for some of our best friends, so we are using the cross country travel as an excuse to stop in Colorado for long weekend. Plus, we're building in a few days with Andrea and Deena in San Francisco and may even get a wee visit with Lisa. (And of course we're going to try to see all our Georgia people.)
But back to Husband's liberal vacation time...
In just a few weeks, we will head off for Elliot's world tour and I say world tour because in the course of five weeks, we will leave Stavanger and touch down in (for various amounts of time, of course):
Part One:
Stavanger
Copenhagen
Seattle
Sacramento
San Francisco
Part Two:
Atlanta
Gainesville
St. Simon's Island
Part Three:
Denver
Part Four:
Sacramento
Chicago
Amsterdam
Stavanger
Of course some of those are just buzzing through airports for a plane change, but because we will have a baby and all that entails in tow, I choose to count them.
Since we've made the plans, I've been waking up to scrawl notes on a pad I keep beside my side of the bed...thus far they range from how many diapers we'll need to which bag to carryon to whether or not the floor we'll have enough room to wrap Elliot in a blanket. And whether or not his favorite rattle will drive everyone around us nuts.
Luckily I am breastfeeding and have almost perfected the art of draping the two of us with a shawl, so we won't have to deal with bottles of formula or flashing strangers internationally. He doesn't tend to be a crier, unless something obvious is wrong (hungry, wet or hurt, etc...) so hopefully he won't be the plane pariah. And he's so young that perhaps the time zone changes won't freak him out so much.
But, overall, packing for the planes, not to mention what all three of us with need for five weeks is a little daunting. (I'm thinking we'll just pack for just about a week or so and plan to do laundry...) And the travel and timing are all going to be a little nuts. We’ll all probably need a week-long nap when we get home.
But those are just the details---overall I'm soooooooooooooo excited.
While I love our life and all of our adventures, I get so homesick for my family and our friends. Because of the pregnancy and travel restrictions and all that goes with it, I haven't been in the US since late November and haven't seen my branch of the family tree since early that same month.*
Sure, there's time to plan...we have about six weeks before take-off, but I am already counting the days.
************************************
*Yes, the BigD was here for ten days in April, but that wasn't enough. I miss my mom, so does Elliot (and Husband a little bit, too. Seriously.) We need to see the D, not to mention my dear sister. Also, Elliot has two cousins who are boys and about his same age. They need to get well acquainted so they can start planning who will steal the beer.


10 comments:
It's a huge amount of travel, but truthfully, babies Elliot's age are the easiest to travel with. It's when they start crawling and walking that you spend long flights chasing them up and down the aisles, dealing with tantrums when they have to stay in their seats, etc.
We're soooo excited to see you!! Can't wait!
I did not realize ya´ll would be gone so long! :-(
But it will be so nice for you. I hope you have the best time! Be sure you inform the Elders so that they can collect your post. An overflowing mail box is a sure sign that the owners are away.
Wendy is right - BEST time to fly!! It'll be hectic and intense and exhausting - but it will be SO WORTH IT when you get to see everyone you love oooh and aaaaah and go ga-ga over little Mr. E! :D
I can just imagine your list on the bedside table, lol. (I do that too, hehe)
And, when you touch down, get ready to deftly deflect unwanted kisses on the baby's face. Some people won't be able to contain themselves when it comes to Baby.
Yes indeed, that is the best age for traveling. Having done the uber-long journeys from infant to small child, I miss the early days...it was easier. I did London to Sacramento with our son, by myself, when he was 15 months...yeah, not so fun :) Good luck!
Cool! He'll have a baby passport :-)
Don't forget to order a crib for the plane ahead of time. Sometimes they run out. Oh, and there's a lovely baby lounge at Schiphol on your way back: http://www.schiphol.com/AtSchiphol/AirportFacilities/TravelWithKids/BabycareLounge.htm
I think Copenhagen has a family area, but think it's mainly a seating area that includes toys for slightly older children.
Hope you have a great trip! :-)
You are brave. Good for you guys.
Also, get used to people rolling their eyes at you when you walk on with a baby. You will be the pariah just based on the little bundle but what can you do? Until they create an airline just for families, everyone must get along.
Most of the time, our girl traveled just fine. Except for that one time she kept smacking the stewardess on the tush.
Aw I'm so happy for you and jealous too! I definitely relate to you being homesick a lot, especially at a time like this. You'll have to tell me how the actual traveling part goes, so I can take advice :) It's too bad planes don't have little lounging sections with beds and couches for mothers with babies, hehe. You're lucky that Elliot isn't a crier, mine definitely is! Enjoy your world tour and do/eat plenty of American things otherwise not found here! (Like some NY style Chinese food... mmmm)
First of all, I really enjoy your blog.
On to the travel. . .everyone above is right, when they're that young, it's all gravy on the flight as long as you breastfeed at take-off and landing. We've taken our Butterbean on lots of flights, and everyone has been overwhelmingly nice. If possible, try to situate yourselves near other mothers for support and understanding. I know that a couple of airlines offer cribs that attach to the wall in the bulkhead seats, so it might be worth checking. I hope you have a great trip, and please pass on any long flight tips when you return. We will travel to Norway in June. I'm nervous about the length of the flight combined with a drama queen toddler.
Hey everyone! thanks for all the tips and encouragement. We have the bassinet reserved, are getting his passport tomorrow and will just keep our fingers crossed. We're really excited!
And FunnyGirl, you're Ashley!!! Months ago, when I was sooooooo pregnant and tired, I got your email about coming to Norway...Remind me when and where...maybe we can meet up depending on where you are???
Post a Comment