I've always pretty much ignored Father's Day, not because I am against the idea of the day, but because my own father has been less than involved*. I've always had stand-ins when needed in the forms of my Papa (Big D's dad) or Bill or various friends' fathers, so it hasn't been tragic, just occasionally disappointing.
But this year, there is great cause for celebration. Exactly as I suspected he would be, not only is Husband great at the various husbandly duties and my favorite companion, but he's a stellar dad.
Then when Elliot was born, he stepped up in a big way. The birth was difficult for a variety of reasons and Big D couldn't arrive to help for several weeks.
Singlehandedly, Husband juggled the dogs and the house and me. And other than actually feeding Elliot, Husband handled much of his care for several weeks until I felt better. He's a killer diaper changer and even now, Husband gets up in the middle of the night at least once every single night to help with him.
He listens thoughtfully to all my concerns, both insane**** and logical,***** thinks about them, discusses it and then helps me execute the plan.
And (almost) best of all, he takes Elliot and the dogs for long, long walks so I can have a little quiet time.*******
And of course Elliot adores him.
It may be easy to say that all of this is exactly what Husband "should" do and it probably is, but it's far and away from what I am used to, so I don't know how we could be any luckier.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
*Without putting too fine a point in it, this is putting it mildly.
**And made great fun of...
***The swing, the sling, the two tubes of nipple cream (now used as lip balm) and the matching cover for the nursing pillow just to name a few that I can remember.
****"If Elliot cries for more than 5 minutes in a row, do you think it will fry the little neuron connections in his brain and make him a defective and insecure adult person?"
*****"If we don't teach him to fall asleep on his own, we'll be doing him a disservice. Plus it will make both of us crazy people."
*******Like right now...
3 comments:
You have a great husband and Elliot has a great dad!
And I agree with teaching a baby to fall asleep on his own. Best thing I ever did. Bedtime is a smooth ride and with a few exceptions, Walt sleeps happily through the night. AND is a very happy little guy!
Fall asleep on his own? :thumbs up: Gotta go there babe! There's a lot of sanity there :)
A good husband is a blessing. A good father for your child is golden. You got both girl! SCORE!!!! :D
Oh - and btw:
****"If Elliot cries for more than 5 minutes in a row, do you think it will fry the little neuron connections in his brain and make him a defective and insecure adult person?"
The answer is: NO! lol. (might fry YOURS, but that's a whole 'nother story ;)
Post a Comment