I hate being told what to do.
I am all for solicited advice and I regularly look to competent people for ideas, but in the end, I am fairly confident in my own intelligence, reasoning and research skills.
So usually, after a bit, I can figure out exactly what I would like to do.
Norway and I have butted heads on more than one occasion regarding this issue.
It and I had difference of opinion on how I would like to deliver our baby. I lost (and miserably).*
I would’ve liked a bit more choice on whether or not I intended to breastfeed.**
And now Norway is forcing me to make Elliot’s baby food.
I am annoyed.
Not that I wouldn’t have wanted to whip up all of his meals,*** but it’s just another thing I do not have much choice about and it bugs me.
I knew that eventually I would have to figure out how to feed the little man "real food."
So I read up on the first foods, which are the simple ones (carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, etc…), which tend to be the least likely to cause allergies. I learned that you give them one at a time for several days in a row to make sure that if there is an allergic reaction you can pinpoint the culprit. Also that there are several things that no baby should have until at least the first year (strawberries, nuts, honey, etc…) because they can cause major allergies later on…
So then I went to the store, a large grocery store called Ultra, particularly popular with the expat community because it imports American goods.****
This is what I found when I went looking for the baby food.
I've cruised down that aisle before, of course--that's where the diapers are, too. But I've never paid much attention other than, "Yep, there's some food."
But that's it. In a town full of babies.
No joke.
You cannot swing cat without hitting a baby.
Promise.
And in the first foods...
That was it. Look closely. There is one single food. The rest are a mix, some of which include strawberries, too.
For a country that is occasionally called a Nanny State*****, they are putting a lot of trust in me.
Given a choice, I would eat a diet that consisted solely of appetizers culled from the left side of restaurant menus and the Whole Foods prepared food section, key lime pie, cheese, chocolate popsicles and the occasional steak.
To trust me to adequately prepare and serve my baby nutritious food is asking alot.
Clearly I can barely feed the adults in the house.******
I am trying though.
I started with a sweet potato.
Whirled it in the blender with some milk.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
*Seriously folks. There is no need to discuss, but suffice to say…No matter how long we live here, I will NEVER have a baby in this entire country again. And just head off any extraneous comments...this is not a comment on socialized medicine, by the way. This is a comment on my lady parts and how I would like for them to be treated---with drugs if you must know. It's just my choice. If anyone reading this has a different opinion on ladyparts, that's all good. I have no opinions on anyone else's ladyparts but my own.
**I probably would have anyway, but the societal pressure is enormous. Also there are exactly three kinds of formula, which are fairly expensive. Again, I am so glad I am breastfeeding (health, convenience, etc…) but would have liked much, much less pressure.
***I kid. I would have been all about the Gerber. No joke. I read the labels. It’s just the ingredients and water. That’s good enough for me. (And it was good enough for me. I ate it. My sister ate it. Everyone I know ate it, including several healthy little niece and nephew people who were running all around BigD’s house a few weeks ago.)
****Most of which are clustered on one-half of an aisle. The shelves are crammed with all sorts of goods, most of which change weekly. On any given week, you can find six-packs of Cherry Coke, Twizzlers, generic brand stuffing and cans of pumpkin. It's random, as if it just fell off the back of a truck.
*****Without going into too much detail, Norway taxes the hell out of certain things (along with all of the rest of the things) like alcohol and cigarettes to discourage their use. And recently a bill was put forth to add an extra tax to fatty food. This is not real discouragement. It is in fact encouragement to pack ones suitcase full of booze and smokes whenever traveling cross-borders.
******This is a slight exaggeration. I actually do cook, often using recipes. And the results are usually pretty good. And as the BigD said once, "Of course you can cook. You can read, can't you?" The difference is that it is food for fully grown adults. It is also by choice.
16 comments:
The good news is that, while you have little choice in pre-packaged foods, your child is so amazingly cute it doesn't matter. Yes, it's a non-sequitur. He's just *that* cute.
BTW - if Norway starts taxing fatty foods I may have to get a second job to cover the overage.
Ladyparts need drugs. That's all there is to it.
Might I suggest some mashed up avocado to Elliot's mix? Super yummy and hardly any work for you.
If it's any consolation I was in New York with my babies, and in the world of choice I was still stuck making my own baby food. Why? My kids REFUSED to eat the jarred stuff...
As for lady parts? I'm with ya babe.
I agree with Nan on the lady parts and the avocado. Banana is good too. Though they may be pricey in Norway, I don't know...
I'm going to take a collection and send you a case of Earth's Best pronto.
That picture of the grocery aisle is baffling. I can't even tell what half that stuff is. Which I guess is your point.
That picture of Elliot at the top -- seriously adorable.
So that's why my sister keeps making stuff in the food processor! I had no idea! Granted, I've never taken the time to study the baby food aisle :-)
JT--First of all, when I first saw JT, I thought..."NO WAY, JT reads MY blog." But only for a second, then I realized it was you. Which is still cool, of course. Just not as much. And as for the job, no joke. Or I could just work at McDonald's and we could trade out for the cheeseburgers. And yeah, sweet boy is a doll and I can say that only because he doesn't look a thing like me.
Nanette-No joke. Also, thus far he's eaten applesauce (in the US--not even sold here), avacados, sweet potatos and I accidentally gave him carrots w/potatos in a jar. It was fine though. Also I just made green beans stuff. I need to feed him more non-sweet things, I think???
Cecilie--If I had more choices, the little guy would eat it, I know it. Dang it.
Anne--I am going to stuff him with bananas soon. One of my friends told me that a few days ago she saw a woman CHEW UP the bananas first, then feed it to her baby. I will not do that. And thanks for the thought on the shipments. Really this is much more fun to complain about it.
Wendy--Oh I know what it is. I also know that there is literally NO choice. I have nothing to feed him that is one-ingredient food, except for prunes. I can feed him lots and lots of prunes. Which may not be all bad with the amount of rice cereal he sucks down. But i am going to feed him full of good things. And thanks.
Batgirl---Now you know. What a pain in my caboose. And really, I never paid any attention to it until a few weeks ago and I have a baby!
I always said I was so happy I had all my kids in the states! And for all of the reasons you mention. You can find Eple Mos(apple sauce) in the aisle with the jams. It took me a while to find it. It is sweeter than ours. And the banana, my MIL(norsk) use to take a small spoon and just scrape the banana onto the spoon. never thought of it, no smashing or anything needed. Good luck!
Oh Europe... you bite at times. I remember the head butting while living in the UK. I also understand taxes... 17% VAT tax on everything in the UK. WTF? No wonder we had ourselves a little tea party.
Good luck girl. I know that my family up in Trodhiem differs from household to household. Like the US not everyone shares the options of those you have run into. Unfortunately it sounds like you've had some run ins with Ugly Euros - like the Ugly Americans these guys think their world view is the only one and lack any understanding of other cultures, politics, history and psychology.
I got all the drugs I wanted when I gave birth to my two kids in Oslo. So I don't think it's Norway as such there is something wrong with. But maybe the doctor and/or midwife you had.
I don't really get what's wrong with the babyfood. Is it the ingridients you have a problem with or the fact that there are more to choose in the US? Well, there's allways more to choose from in the US.
Anyway, read what Gill Rapley in Unicef says about pureed babyfood:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6762795.stm
Also, just as a follow-up, this is what the American Academy of Pediatrics says about starting solid foods...
http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Solids.htm
Elizabeth Cobb Durel said...
Anon--Thanks so much for the Eple Mos tip. I really appreciate it! And I'm going to start him with bananas next week. Right now, we're trying green beans and he's not too keen on them!
SerineKat --- Yeah, I didn't win on some big and key differences of opinion, but we're working through it. It is odd when occasionally there seems to be NO room for compromise, especially when the issues are so personal...Oh well. Now I know!
Nora---Maybe it is the town or the hospital. And what I mean about the baby food is that while there are several choices for secondary and older baby foods, there is practically NO choice at all for the first foods, so it makes it harder on me. Thanks so much for the link. I did read it and think it's an interesting point of view. It was pointed out that that was Riley's personal opinion, not Unicef's. In any case, the little man is getting LOADS of milk, so he's good.
I'm glad you are all reading! Thanks so much for commenting!
My girl is now 17 and I remember that when she was a baby there was hardly anything to chose from. Now there are lots compared to before. So things are moving along.
It's kind of strange that we want readymade food for our kids. There is always so much talk about home made food (from scratch) being the best and most nutritious - for everybody. And at this time of year you can get fresh berries, vegetables, lots of good stuff. Much better than what you get in a jar.
Just wondering.... In your photo, where you say "Look closely. There is one single food. The rest are a mix, some of which include strawberries, too." Which one is the "single food"?
Linda---I think the difference is that in adult food there tends to be loads of preservatives, etc.... In jarred baby food, there is only "that food" and water, usually using really good versions of "that food" (ie carrots grown with few nitrates, etc....) So in most cases, the jarred baby food is about as good as I can make it myself. And in many places cost effective. So given all that, with the amount of time and clean up involved, yep, I'd rather buy and spend the time playing or learning with my son or preparing healthy food for my husband....
Anon--You know I looked closely myself a second time... There are actually TWO!!! One is mango puree (You'll recognize those words in Norwegian). And the second is Sveeskemos, which is Prunes. The rest are combos....
Post a Comment