Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Things I Will Miss, Part One

There have been a few common questions I've gotten when I've told people we're heading back to the US.

The most frequent one is "Aren't you so glad to be going back?"

And I am, mostly.

I want Elliot to grow up close to his cousins and I want him to spend lots of quality time with his NeeNee (BigD)*. My career has been on hold for the past two years and while** Husband and I are excited for me to be fully hands on for the next few years, I'd like to start dabbling in the freelance again when I can.  I miss great museums and we're going to spend lots of time at the High Museum of Art and at the Georgia Aquarium. I love going to matinee movies*** in the middle of the day. The mani/pedis are $20 and Elliot will have a backyard where I'm hoping we can clear out a space for a swing.

But we've had a great two years here.  It has been the best place for Husband and me to start off our adventure.  And other than the initial business about the car, which passed, we've been really happy.

And there are going to be lots of things, I'm really going to miss.  Below aren't all, but just what popped into my head at this minute....

Girlfriends
No matter how much I love Husband,**** I always need at least one good girlfriend.  And in my time here, I've been so so lucky to have had several.  Some who have moved on to their next location and one in particular who is here on a semi-permanent basis. It's going to be no fun to be six time zones away, but there's Skype and also a pile of airline miles, some of which are going to be used to pop over to Atlanta.  So there's that.

The language
I am no good at the speaking, but I've gotten fairly okay about understanding a little bit when I am listening.***** Norwegian is a challenging language, especially for me and especially because it's Germanic-based.  The rules can simple, but the exceptions are tough.  And the cadences are fun to hear, but they are so hard to emulate...But I still love it. My favorite part is that many of the words are just what they are. For instance, hospital is "sykehus" (sick house) and kennel is "hundepensjonat" (dog hotel).  It's straightforward and great, which is akin to how the Norwegian people are in general.

Baby Cakes

Pre-Elliot, Husband and I took a childbirth class with nine other couples.  And those moms, along with one mom we adopted from a pre-natal yoga class, have met every week since with our sweet babies.  Those weekly meet-ups saved me in the beginning when I was so tired and recovering.  And as the months have passed, it's been one of the major highlights of our week. We visit and compare notes on everything.  And Elliot LOVES his friends.

Roundabouts

This is a pretty rotten photo, but you know what roundabout are. Traffic merges, comes together, then splits off into all the different individual ways.  Sometimes there is just one lane, but often there are as many as three or four, but it all works. Navigating them in the beginning was nothing less than a giant, pain-in-the-caboose challenge, but as the months have passed, I kind of love them.  Seriously. It's much like walking on the streets of New York.  No matter how many people there are, if you know what you're doing, people just move and make it work and it does.

The airport

Ahh the airport.  I've always loved the airport.******  And I love this one, too.  Husband (and now Elliot, too) have had so so many great adventures that (for the most part) started right here.  Europeans know how to live.  No joke.  They work to live, not live to work. And while Husband has worked so so hard, we have also been traveling.  And, once we're back in the States, that kind of adventure will be over, at least for a while.  We'll still go places and do things, but it won't be quite the same.


This sandwich

I LOVE this sandwich.  I kid you not.  It's chicken breast, with hummus and lettuce and tomato on sourdough bread.  If you're in Stavanger, go to either of the Ostehuset locations, go immediately and eat it. Look on the menu under "Sanwich på dansk rugbød." And it's called exactly what it is...Hummus, kylling, ruccula og tomater.******* Have them put it on their sandwichbrød ("sandwich bread,") which is this light, fluffy sourdough-ish bread.  Then ask for an extra side of the hummus.  It's an awesome mix of chunky hummus, with just a tad of curry, but they are a little stingy with it. Good stuff. Trust.





____________________________________________________


*Hopefully a few of which are overnighters, once the little man can handle it.  I am not worried about NeeNee's skill in this, she's a pro and I have already scheduled a weekend with her in Spring 2010 so Husband and I can have a weekend away.  I love the little man like crazy, but I love his daddy like crazy, too.

**If all things go well...

***This ship may have sailed.

****And it's alot.


*****Which really means that I could have a small little conversation with a toddler and could gather the subject of a conversation being had by grow-up.  It's hard.

******Seriously.  In most of my jobs, I've always had to travel.  And in a few of them, alot.  And, especially in the years before the things happened in New York, I loved going to the airport early just to watch the travelers.  You can see the entire range of human emotions within the walls of any airport.  Everybody is going on some kind of an adventure.  It's amazing.

*******Which shockingly enough is the "Hummus, chicken, lettuce and tomato" sandwich.  It is, what it is.

5 comments:

JT said...

I prefer not to think of it as 'semi-permanent' and more like 'until we figure out somewhere better'. It makes my head and heart hurt a little less. (Oh, the melodrama!)

Just like there's some things you will miss from here, a few things from here (like me, P, and D/F) will miss you and A and E as well. Thank god for the aforementioned airports and airmiles. Love you!
!!!

EL said...

That was a really nice entry. I never knew what to say when asked that question (What will you miss?) and think you hit some good points.

chez said...

Hi Elizabeth,

I have really enjoyed reading your blog since my friend Kim (Dorazewski) told me about it. She mentioned it to me cuz she know's that once my hubby graduates from college, I would LOVE it if he could get a job in Norway (another of my best friends is Norwegian and I stayed with her & her family for about 6 months, after I graduated high school and have been in love with the place ever since).

I will miss reading about all your adventures and wish you the best of luck with your move back to the states!

Suzy C

Elizabeth said...

JT-Though you are NOT the real Justin Timberlake, I forgive you and love you, too. And I can't wait for you to come to Atlanta, so I can lean down and have a little chat with F/D. Then he/she will know my voice and we'll ALL be friends.

EL-I'll bet you could come up with a few doozies, for sure. We miss you!

Suzy-I'm so glad you're reading. Kim is one of my favorite peoples (you know, at one time, I was the 4th Dorazewski sister) Norway is lovely lovely place full of good peoples. You would love it here. Let me know if I can help you in any way, either with connections or advice. (Any friend of Kim's, etc, etc...No joke.) And I hope you'll keep reading. This blog won't end when our time here does.

Suzy C. said...

Elizabeth,

I bet being one of the Dorazewski girls was a hoot and a half! I'm sure that little tribe of girls was a handful - in the best possible way - what fun!!

Glad to hear you will continue writing, it'll be fun to read.

I'd love any advice you can share - do you have an email address?

Thanks, Suzy