Friday, May 30, 2008

East ending

A British show called EastEnders is on right now. It's some kind of BBC soap-opera show that I've been hearing about for years.

So when it followed one of the news shows I keep on in the morning, I didn't change channels. It's been on in the background while I have been meandering about doing whatever it is I do during the day.

But I am constantly jumping because it will be semi-quiet for a while; then the characters will suddenly yell mean things at each other.

Must change channels. It's much too dramatic for me.

8 comments:

Jo said...

Hi, the language you speak of is actually called Xhosa but can be mistaken for sounding like nhosa because the X is a mighty click of the tongue. Funnily in The Amazing Race of TV they stopped off here in South Africa and the Americans pronounced it X hosa.

Jo said...

It is mildly addictive for some reason.

Elizabeth said...

huh! who knew! plus, i LOVE the phrase "a mighty click of the tongue" It was the most interesting language I've ever heard in person!

Jo said...

My kids learn it at school (with difficulty). Maybe you could hear it on Metro radio or KAYA FM both local stations (SA)

Elizabeth said...

they learn it at school???? that is sooooo progressive and cool!

Jo said...

We have 12 official languages here in SA English, Afrikaans, Xhosa, Sotho, Zulu, and quite frankly I cant remember the others, but Xhosa is spoken in the western Cape which is where we live. In Gauteng (Johannesburg) the kids learn Zulu or Sotho.

m allison r said...

HI!!!
My brother and sister in law live in Norway (shockingly close to Stavanger). Your blog is spot on! Some of the things she and I have talked about since they have been there are echoed in your blog perfectly. I passed on the link. I think you two could be friends.But she can't drive yet too well either...you will have to walk places together :)

Elizabeth said...

Tell her to send me a note! I'd love to meet up with here. Also, I have a sister who is an artist and makes lovely things like you do, so I'm sure we'd get on well!