Tuesday, May 13, 2008

First Dinner Party

Everywhere I've lived, I've loved to throw parties.

I love giant parties on the rooftop where all of my friends get to know each other against the backdrop of the West Village.

I love informal cookouts to watch football games over burgers cooked in an open garage in Toco Hills.

I love girls' dinner parties with the excuse of reading books, but with the real purpose of visiting and catch-ups on St. Charles Avenue.

It's fun to plan the menu and to set the table. And to think of all the commonalities between guests to they will have something to talk about when they first meet. Then to figure out their differences so they can continue the conversation.

On the spur of the moment last week, Husband and I decided to ask some friends over. The weather is lovely and we have a back porch and a grill. So at seven o'clock, Erin and Kyrre and Rodovan showed up.

I made Big D's zuchinni pasta and Husband grilled flank steak soaked in Dale's.



Kyrre and Rodovan helped on the porch.




Lillie helped in the kitchen.




So did Milo.




So did Erin.




Rodovan showed photos of his girl and his upcoming schmancy cruise.




Erin tries to look like she is listening, but really wants the salad.




Someone said something funny.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

You look fab. And I love that dress. Where did you get it?

Elizabeth said...

Thanks! As for the dress, H&M, sale rack, 70% off. I think it cost about $20 (which in Norway is practically free.) Shhhhhh. Don't tell anyone.

Victoria said...

Looks like a great time!! Wish we were there, but next time......
Hey maybe next time, we could actually WALK there! imagine!!

Elizabeth said...

Seriously, we hated that you were too worn out from guests to come, but it was spur of the moment and soon you'll be somewhere in the 'hood!

So, absolutely, we'll be doing it again! And you two can just mosey on down or across or around or whatever!

I can't wait!

It's going to be a good summer!

Unknown said...

WTF - I never got invited to dinner parties on your roof in the West Village and I practically RAISED you in NY!!! (Okay, that's a huge exaggeration, but still......)

Elizabeth said...

dear andrea, you were always invited every single time. (not only do i adore you, you know i have a huge "more the merrier" philosophy..) they were giant summer solstice parties and halloween parties on the roof. one because it was funny excuse and the other because the parade went right by my house. also in some of this time, you had moved to atlanta. also, you are invited now as well!
mwah!

Unknown said...

OK - but first come to Paris and meet us for some fun.....it will give you more to blog about and even better dinner party fodder.

Elizabeth said...

Husband and I are thinking about it. We don't have any travel plans for September. Plus we miss you miss miss you miss you.