Monday, June 9, 2008

Sex and the City and happy

I've always thought that a journalist is, boiled down of course, a fairly eloquent detective.

But I think I'm going to have to amend that a bit because if I opened my own detective agency I couldn't hang out a sign saying "Full service."

When my clients came back for the proof, they would have to be satisfied with my reports and the details.

I say this because I am rotten at taking the stealth photos.

Sex and the City Friday night was so much fun. Eight girlfriends and I met for dinner, all dressed in our best finery, which means fun dresses and for one, whose husband dropped her off, fun shoes as well. We had a giant group dinner with drinks, then moved on to dessert and wine, then headed to the theater.

And we weren't the only ones. All over the town, groups of women were doing the exact same thing. It was really charming to see, which below you would, if I were better at taking the stealth photos.



Before the movie, we all loaded up on popcorn.



Then settled into our seats. The entire theater was filled with women (and one slightly uncomfortable gentleman) chattering in English, Norwegian and at least one other language, which I also don't know.

When the lights went down, the auditorium erupted in clapping.

But how was the movie?

Yep, I read all the reviews, too and didn't care a bit.

Sure, there were a few flaws. Lily, Charlotte's daughter, should have had more to do than just sit around as a plot device. And the running gag with Samantha's dog was just distracting. And really the movie didn't need them.

It was just a visit with some friends we haven't seen in a while. We'd been wondering how they were and it's good to know how things turned out. And every bit was fitting.

And as with every really good Sex and the City television episode, minus the puns and the shoes, I was left with a few things to think about.

My favorite quote happened about halfway through.

The four were talking about whether or not they were happy.

When it was Charlotte's turn, she says "Yes, I am happy."

The other three, doubt and then probe and she says something along the lines of,

"I am. Not every single minute of every single day. But at least once every day, I am happy."

And that, I think, is a good standard to hold.

No comments: