Overall, I don't mind breastfeeding him at all, for all the various reasons...it's super healthy for him. In these parts, there's very little choice to do otherwise. It's only for a relatively short window of time. Also, I can.
But it's a huge commitment.
I haven't figured out the timing of how to express for a bottle because I am constantly feeding him. So Husband can't help, so it's all on me, 24/7.
Also, we are starting to be able to get it together enough to leave the house, which means that I am having to figure out how to feed him in public places. It's been fine, but also, in case you are wondering, though I am managing to avoid flashing (at least 1/2 the time, usually, if it's a good day) strangers, I am not fooling any one. They may not be able to see the actual evidence, but it's abundantly clear what's happening somewhere underneath my shawl.
And at home, it's gotten a little less National Geographic these days, but if you happen to be a friend and you happen to drop by, be warned, modesty is a low priority in these parts when Elliot is hungry.
It's all a little earthy for me.
All this to say....last night, when Husband came home, we loaded up the yard gnome and the whole pack went for a walk around the neighborhood. When we got back, Husband and Elliot visited while I worked on putting dinner together. And Husband mentioned he checked the blog and I hadn't added anything for a while.
It's because I'm pretty tired, though I'm feeling much better overall.
Also, I feel like a boob. Not in the clownlike, clumsy sense, but in the literal, physical sense. Just a boob.
Lately ---and I was prepared for this in the beginning days, so it's not a big deal--- I have been doing very little else but feed, play, feed, change diapers, feed, sleep, feed.*
I am not sure how interesting that is to the rest of the world, but because things have been slowing down a bit, I'll be back here more often than I have been in the past few weeks...
And, in the coming days, as I feel less like a boob and more like myself again, it will be back to the usual general topics (plus my little constant companion, of course)...But in the meantime, because it's all about my world and right now, my world is a little constrained*, that's what you'll find here.
________________________________________________
*Also, for anyone that is wondering, none of this is regretful or even that negative...For the most part, it's all good and we're settling into how things get done. Every single day is a bit easier and best of all, it's much more fun the older he gets, even by the day. He is more alert and his personality is starting to really show. He smiles at us (no, it's not gas) and has even laughed a few times. Really, he's lovely and at least a part of every day, I spend staring at him, amazed that we made him. While I intend to go back to part time work in the future, overall, I feel so fortunate that I am not working full time in the US right now. If I were, my maternity leave would be winding down about now and I'd be heading back to work. I would hate it because the really hard beginning is winding down a bit and it's all just starting to get really good.
14 comments:
*Just wondering what maternety leave is like in the US. Whats it like financially and for how long can you stay at home.
In Norway you can stay at home for 44 weeks with 100% salary og 54 weeks with 80% salary. And they weeks can even be devided between mum and dad (6 weeks even belongs to dad!) but the first 6 weeks belongs to mum.
I think it would have been horrible to live in the US and choose between going back to work after a very short time - or to give up my job... In Norway you can keep your job, keep getting paid and you dont have to worry about leaving your child in kindergarten before he or she is a year old.
It's fairly appalling in the US...The short answer is that it depends in the company, its size and the position you hold. Roughly, it's somewhere between six and twelve weeks, often completely unpaid...moms usually combine their sick leave, vacation, etc. to get more time...dads usually get nothing....But this is all a rough overview...for more information, here are a few links....
From a USA Today article:
"To put it another way, out of 168 nations in a Harvard University study last year, 163 had some form of paid maternity leave, leaving the United States in the company of Lesotho, Papua New Guinea and Swaziland."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-07-26-maternity-leave_x.htm
And here's another...
http://www.babycenter.com/0_maternity-leave-the-basics_449.bc?showAll=true
He's beautiful Elizabeth, and it looks like you are doing an even more beautiful job at being a Mommy! I'll give you props by being a 24/7 Dairy Queen! I wish I could have done it longer, but my icecream dispensers broke down early on. Oh, well. :) Hang in there Mama! Looking forward to meeting the lil man!
Thanks, Josie...HA! Dairy Queen! That's awesome! And for sure, my dispensers are getting a workout. The little man LOVES some ice cream. But I really think I am the only person to do the 24/7. Most people I know either aren't able to or just don't want to...I'm going to try to stick it out, but I can see supplementing in a month or so...
I totally understand the "feeling like a boob" feeling. I nursed the Niblet exclusively for a few weeks then introduced the bottle because, sadly, I had to return to work after just 7 weeks. The only reason I got 7 weeks was because I used a week of vacation- otherwise I only had 6 weeks off thanks to short term diability insurance. All 6 weeks were at full pay, thankfully. Had I had complications or had a c-section I would have gotten more- up to 8 wks for the c-section. But I would have only gotten 10 weeks total at full pay. If I'd been off any longer my benefit would have dropped to 60% of my pay, I believe.
It very much depends on your company's policy and what kind of benefits you have. I think America needs to wake up and realize how idiotic their maternity/paternity policy is and get it revamped when they 'fix' the healthcare system.
Oh, and the yard gnome is absolutely adorable. I had that same little monkey sleeper for Niblet! Love it!
In Norway it's not the company you work for or insurance that pays you for 44 og 54 weeks. It's part of our healthcare system and one of the reasons why we pay tax.
I'm wondering....? When you pay tax in the US - what's the government using it for...?
I really feel sorry for American mums. You're way behind. Even when I was born in 1972 my mum had 3 month materinty leave.
Hey Elizabeth, really enjoyed the catch up on everything with Elliot. Glad you are all doing so well. See you lot tomorrow! :-)
Hi, Elizabeth. I found your blog through Expat Women and have really enjoyed reading it. I had my first baby in September and can totally relate to feeling like a boob and scheduling outings around feedings (which seem constant!). You may not believe it now (I certainly didn't), but it DOES get easier. My little one is nearly 7 months old, and I actually feel like I have a life again. Still, enjoy every moment now because it goes by so quickly!
I asked my sister about how to get the timing right, and she swears by exchanging the boob for formula - just 1 time - that will get you 1 meal ahead :-)
Elizabeth, he's such a little muffin. Glad everything is going well.
Anon, maternity leave isn't part of the U.S. health care system because we don't really *have* a national health care system. There is health care for the elderly and for people that fall below the poverty line, but most people get their health insurance from the companies they or their spouses work for. We pay far less in taxes than Norwegians pay, so we get our roads, schools, policy, defense, etc. from our taxes, but funding a national health care system would require an enormous tax increase, which most Americans are opposed to.
Always such a great experience to see people post up pics of their new born
I love, love, love seeing sweet faced little Eliot! Too cute. And congrats on the 5 hour stretch. I remember that being a big deal.
He looks SO like his daddy in that one close up !! So glad that you are doing well and it sounds like it's all working out just the way that it's supposed to! I'm so proud of you. :0)
I love his facial expressions! He's such a doll.
Post a Comment