(NeeNee AKA BigD AKA the incrediably rare Drawlin' Fruity Fly, native to the wilds of Northern Georgia in the United States. Pictured here on a boat in the fjord.)
And when I say NeeNee rules, it's not in the creepy, overbearing, roll-your-eyes sort of way. She never drops in or offers unsolicited advice or horns in. (These are massively important qualities.)
I mean that she really does know how to do things and will help if you ask her. Also, she shows up when babies arrive to get them straightened out and to let the moms sleep.
Then, pretty much immediately afterward, she babysits or carts them around or just coos over them and helps them learn crucial things like how to share, how to keep their fingers out of their noses and the alphabet. `
So when we knew that we were having Pickle, I knew that being no where within close proximity to Gainesvegas would make it hard. I know that people all over the world have babies and handle it just fine all on their own, but I didn't want to. I wanted my mom to come immediately and help us before we screwed everything up.
But we live thousands of miles and six time zones away, plus she's still working, so we decided to wait until her spring break (BigD is a special education teacher.) So it was three LONG weeks until she arrived.
And while Husband and I survived the first two weeks with Elliot all on our own and it was nice to get things started together, it was challenging --- especially since Husband had to take care of me, too.
So were all really, really glad when NeeNee stepped off the plane.
This is what happened next....
Elliot wore his fancy outfit to meet NeeNee at the airport. He wanted to make a good first impression.
Finally she appears. See that bag on the bottom? It's filled with goodies for Elliot and a few for us. We all got teary, me most of all. I was tired and hadn't seen her since early November. That's much too long.
She brought him an alligator sleeper and fed him his very first bottle so we could go to meet some friends for a bit.
And she worried the whole time that Lillie or Milo would eat Elliot. That won't happen. It is much more like they would eat her.
Big D loved going to the grocery store and seeing things like the giant displays of potatoes.
She also loved seeing the magazines about her age group filled with pictures of old ladies. Check the cover model on this one. Big D smokes her.
Elliot had so much fun, he passed out most days.
She worked on key skills like grasping...
.
Nope, those are not my skinny jeans, yet. But soon....
Bill loves motorcycles, so we had to go take a photo of it for BigD to show him.
Then it was time for NeeNee to head back.
And she left us with a clean house, pictures hung in all the right places, piles of clean laundry, a baby that was a little more settled and a really good visit. We're all ready for our trip back in June.
2 comments:
I find your comment on the "Magic Chair" especially hilarious!! I remember when we were discussing decor and the nursery when the Pick was just barely giving you a belly pooch. You were against the "Magic Chair" because it was not brown and blue and matchy and I will agree that it is a little ugly. But remember how I told you how special this chair was going to be for you and the magic things it did for Jack and my relationship? How it would be a mistake to not take the chair because of the color of it? It looks like Elliot is enjoying the bright birds and relaxing rainforest sounds. Just know that I know.
I KNOW!!!!!!!! I take it all back and defer to your advice always. that chair is magic and wonderful and I will never ever be without the batteries that make it work. FOREVER.
Seriously...out of all the things you passed down from Jack to Elliot, this is the best. thing. in. the. world.
now i think it's beautiful.
Post a Comment