A few weeks after we told BigD I was pregnant, I opened our mailbox to a slip of paper informing me that there was a package waiting for me at the post office.
Inside the package was a copy of Dr. Spock's Baby and Childcare, a copy of What to Expect When You are Expecting and a note that said, "These two are the only books you'll need. Love, Mom."

In the days before Elliot (AKA Pickle) arrived, I read them cover to cover. I underlined things, scrawled notes in the margins and highlighted key bits for Husband to scan.
I thought I was a bit prepared.
But last night, Husband and I were downstairs visiting, with the baby moniter on low. Elliot, who has had a little sniffle for days, had been in bed for a few hours.
Around eleven, we heard him whimpering a bit, which was odd. Elliot is a LOUD baby. He rarely whimpers. He does babble and often call out, all of which usually happen at top volume.*
So I went to check on him and he was burning up, like I have never felt a baby. His eyes were glassy, his cheeks were red and he was damp all over.
This may not be frightening to more seasoned mothers, but as I am not one of those mothers**, it was frightening to me.
We took his temperature and it was right on the borderline of all the measures. Our farenheit thermometer read 101.4. Our celcius one read 38.3. He is four days shy of the six month mark.
If you believe Dr. Spock,*** "If your baby is three months old or younger, call right away for a temperature of 100.5 or higher."
And a few lines down..."As a rule, consult your doctor if your baby has a temperature of 101 or more."
Therein lies the rub.****
We have no one to call.***** We don't have a pediatrician. Not really.
We sort of do. There are very few pediatricians in the Stavanger area. There are a few on staff at the hospital and another small number that work privately. Seriously. That is it.
Early on, Elliot and I went to meet one, so we could be all acquainted when and if we needed to come and see him. And I wish I could describe this person here, but the person is a character and you might recognize this person.
Suffice to say, this person is great and Elliot loved him. And I thought this person was really nice and seemed to know exactly what he was talking about. I'd heard great things about this particular one from other expat moms who had used this person, so there you have it.
(And I wish I could tell you some of the statistics about how many pediatricians there are in the enormously wide swath of southern and western Norway where we're located. But I won't.)
But all that said, the pediatricians don't seem all that busy.
On our first visit, as we were chatting, this person said that he/she'd been to Atlanta once, to meet some business people, because he/she's come upon a business that was exactly what Norway was missing.
The second time we went to the office, was when Elliot wasn't feeling well after our travels. (After thousands of miles, he apparently caught a bug of sorts on the way home.) As we were sitting in the waiting room, a friend of ours walked through the lobby. She, who is about 30 or so years past childhood, has been seeing this person for nutrition and dietary needs.
So, as you might note, being a pediatrician is not big business in these parts.******
Most babies go to the family doctor for illnesses and to the health station for shots and growth checks, etc...
Baby health care in these parts is a tricky business. At least it is for me.
And, to make it more complicated, while we are eligible for the public healthcare, we also have private insurance through Husband's contract. So, in many case, we are fortunate to be able to pick and choose what we'd like from the many private doctors in the area. Then we pay for it, submit the bill and get reimbursed for most of it from the insurance company.
Except when it's something big and then the only choices are public.*******
My doctor, who I loved and handled all my prenatal care, was nowhere in the vincinity, most certainly not in the room or even the hospital when I gave birth.
When Elliot was just a few months old, he had a high fever in the middle of the night, so we took him to the urgent care at the hospital. He had a fever of 102, which according to Dr. Spock is a big deal. He wasn't eating, his breathing was labored and he was not his usual self, in the early early morning.
We took him the urgent care and waited and waited for about two hours. When the check-in nurse finally called us up, she took a look at our forms, where we had marked that we had a private doctor. She asked why we didn't go see her and said we should go there even if she didn't open for another 90 minutes.
Then when we asked if someone could please just help us, they put us in a back room with a thermometer and said to check it ourselves. Finally a doctor came in and said he didn't have baby sized instruments, so they sent us to the pediatric wing of the hospital, where a pediatrician did the basic tests and chalked it up to nothing, but an unexplained fever.
It was a less than satisfactory experience, so this time, because all the factors were borderline, we skipped it.
And this is not to say that the healthcare is bad or that the Norwegians are weak. Quite the contrary. No one pays much attention to the "borderline" fevers and antibiotics are not handed out unless it's extreme, but when it rains, which it does often, the children put on their weather gear and get outside to play. They sleep in their prams in the fresh air in practically any temperature. They are a hearty lot, so it just stands to reason that they are doing something right.
But still, I'd love to have my own doctor who follows Elliot through it all. Not just the shots and the growth scale,******** but one who knew every single detail and could put the whole picture together.
And one who had a nice nurse or a 24 hour help line I could call when my son is burning up at midnight.*********
________________________
*Seriously. If I were writing a book and Elliot was in it, I would write all of his dialogue in capital letters.
**I am the other kind.
***Page 699
****In a bit of etomological service-y-ness, did you know this phrase is really a bit of slightly paraphrased Shakespeare? I knew that it meant a conundrum of sorts, but who knew that it's all thanks to Wills? You're welcome.
*****I mean to say professionally. I do have the Big D, my sister, my sister-in-law and a smattering of friends, but just in a coincidence, I only got my mom for a second and then answering machines for all the rest. We're on our own in these parts.
******My friend looks fantastic, though. And, to this person's point, there is a distinct lack of eating establishments that serve awesome wings and foamy beers on platters carried by bosomy women wearing orange short shorts and nude tights.
*******PS This is not the forum to debate Obama's healthcare plan, in case you are thinking on that. I am not making any sort of statement pro or con'ing it or any nuances et. all. I haven't done enough research on it to make an informed statement. I will say that I was uninsured for many years because though I was making a really good living in New York, I couldn't afford it. That was scary and not right.
********Which is a whole other post. Norwegians are tall people. Americans are medium sized. So Elliot's numbers on the two scales are very different. I'll post about that in a few weeks after his next check up.
*********He's much much better now. Still a little hot and sniffly, but not scary.
11 comments:
If he does it again tonight, give him a dose of infant Tylenol and rock him until both of you are calm. If he feels a little cooler, you may be able to catch some zzz's before you call the pediatrician in the morning. Beats last night's mess.
Also happens with teeth. Both Ruthie and the Bean got/get low grade fevers when they teethe. If the poops seem weird--off-schedule, volume, and otherwise--and your little man is super drooly, look for little white dots where the teeth are coming through.
Good luck, sweetie. It's the pits when they're sick.
I am glad he is feeling better now!
I don´t get it though - doesn´t your pediatrician give you his/her number for after-hour emergencies? Surely you don´t go to the legevakt with a little baby, in this case. Would be much more efficient to be able to make a call before going in. Anyway, I hope you don´t have to go through the afterhours thing again.
Oh Beth, thanks...he's much better now and last night slept so much that I checked on him several times. And this morning, he's just a tiny tiny bit sniffly and has gone back and turned up the volume. And I've heard that about the teething...UGH....I've been thinking (off and on) that he's been teething for a while now, but nothing...
Erin--There's nothing to get. You're not missing a thing. There is no on call number. There is no after hours number. The phone number to call is the office number (and they will answer--when it's open.) Yes, you go to the legevakt if there is anything that happens outside of office hours. I really isn't very efficient and what's even a little more disturbing other than the inefficiency of it all is the fact that there is no division between "sick" and "non-sick" waiting. So it is just as likely that you could be sitting next to someone with a hacking cough as it is that you could be sitting next to someone with a sprained ankle.
I think you're biggest problem is that you're looking for american solutions. And by doing that you're missing the norwegian opportunities!
You dont feel safe just because your not used to it.
Maybe kids in Norway are tuffer
I've never felt the need for a pediatrician. A family doctor is fine. Or in Norway it's a fastlege, which means its your doctor. And families have the same doctor. Yes you can only call or make appointments during office hours. Other than that you have the emergency room. Also, if there's a real emergency, the doctor on call at legevakten (=emergency room) will make housecalls. We've had a doctor come home to us late on saturday nights or sundays when the kids were ill.
I've never even though about the need for a pediatrician on a normal daily basis with sickness as flu, ear infections, measels or fever. A pediatrician is someone (for me!) who treats your child in a hospital. I think most Norwgians feel the same. The family doctors ar general practitioners - and you don't need to see a specialist unless there's a need for that. Somethimes the general practitioners also is a pediatricon or a gynecologist. In my case mye doctor also is a gynecologist. Which is great, it means I don't have to make two appointments, I she knows me, not only as my doctor but also as my gynecologist.
Your husband has a private deal trough is job. A lot of norwegian companys does that for their employes. It sometimes means your connected to a local private hospital, sometimes the employer pays for a special health insurance (which gives you specialist treatment etc. within a certain amount of days, and private hostpital)
You're wrong when you say that "when it's something big and then the only choices are public"
My husband had thrombosis, he was really sick and he was treated privately through our insurance. No problem. He could also have gone to a public hospital. But he got sick while we were visiting an other town, and we thought why not use the insurance. The people at Vital fixed everything for us. Having said that. If we were at home he'd had been in our public hospital. No problem.
Thank God antibiotics are not handed out unless it's extreme. If a child get to much antibiotics he/she might get imune to it.
Anon—Thanks so much for your comment. It is so nice to have a Norwegian perspective.
I do think I have a pretty strong understanding of the system, though I would like to know how you got a doctor to come to your house in the middle of the night.
And you’re right, I just have a preference for what I am familiar with for my baby. For myself, I am much looser, but when it comes to Elliot, I would prefer to have one doctor who follows him and gets to know him well.
And I mean one doctor who handles his shots, his growth chart, his sicknesses and his well visits. Even those are not handled by the family doctor here. His shots and growth chart are at the Health Station. His sick visits are handled by the pediatrician.
I would prefer to have an off-hours nurse line to call when I have a question about a symptom or a worry. There are lots of symptoms that are borderline and instead of dragging my baby out in the middle of the night when perhaps it’s not necessary, I would rather have an expert opinion.
I hesitate to say definitively that Norwegian children are tougher, but perhaps.
Anon—Thanks so much for your comment. You’re right about the antibiotics, but when we went to the doctor yesterday, we left with a prescription for antibiotics as well as cough medicine because he was that sick.
Maybe it's not so anymore, but if my kids got sick during the weekend or late at night we phoned "legevakten" and they always had a doctor who would make housecalls.
I think Norwegians are so used to the Health Station, they take care of everything that hasnt got to do with sickness. And its nice to meet other moms and babys there. I'm still in touch with some moms from the group I met at the Health Station. And two of the other kids we met there are in my sons class at school today.
I liked the Health Station and never had the need for a doctor in that situation. I think most Norwegians feel the same. Probably because we're used to it and for us this is good and safe.
Glad to hear your boy is better!!
(came accientialy across you blogg. I'm new here on blogger. Yours is an interesting blogg)
Ella
off hours nurse can be handled through your insurance company when you have extra disease insurance for your kids - as we have, or we just phone the "legevakten" and if the symptoms are just a tad more than borderline - we get priority in the que at legevakten.
you can use your regular GP - fastlege - for your kids as well. We do and he knows them well, and if you make him do regular check ups like every year or so, he can do growth charts (acc to norwegian kids) also. If our kids have been ill and we have been with other doctors, like abroad, other cities og legevakten, we always send him info / updates of illness with his appreciation - We do for ourselves as well and it gives him the history.
They let you take the decision on antibiotics giving you prescriptions for both - as our fastlege has done for us - twice, and I think i like that. We chose not to go antibiotics both times but it can be tough during the childs feever. Also - our doctors have always told us that children take time to develop temp control and that a temp of 38C is ok for Kindergarten if the general condition is ok. We only give Paracet when 39C or above.
I have the same experience as Henrik. Also I was lucky cause our family doctor was also a pediatrition working at the local "Health Station". I also agree with Ella, making a point of how we norwegians feel about the "Health Station".
I think legevakten still makes housecalls if its an emergency and you have no way of getting to legevakten yourself (it says so on their webpage). I was a single mom when my kids were small, and the doctor came home to us, as long as my other options would be to either leave one child at home (not an option), get a babysitter (not always easy in the midle of the night) or take both of them with me in a taxi...
Also, you can call legevakten to find out about a symptom. I remember doing so because my son had a real bad stomach ache. We all (including the woman at legevakten) thought it was his appendix. They had the ambulance ready to get him to surgery and everything. And it turned out to be inconstipation... It can give the same symptoms as appendix...
Glad to hear your little man is better!!
It's always worrying when your baby is sick. One of my all time scariest moments was taking Julia's temperature and it showed 104,7!!!!! Being in NY I called our pediatrician's service and she called me back within minutes. She told me to give her one dose of ibuprofen and one dose of acetaminophen and give it an hour. If the fever didn't go down I was to call her back. Long story short we ended up 3 days in the hospital... but it was so good to talk to her own pediatrician when freaked out at 3am. So I totally get what you're saying E!
If the only symptom is a fever and it's not a good 39C or above they're not going to do much except tell you to give the kid some paracet and make sure he drinks enough (here in Norway). They always have a nurse on duty at legevakten, and I've called them for advice on a number of occasions. A few times they've asked me to come in, other times they tell me what to watch for. It's not the same as having the pediatrician on the phone, but at least there's a professional giving you advice.
The health station thing took me a while to get used to too... I didn't like that at first. Now I do. After a few years they have the history, the kids know the "helsesøster" and they think it's a fun check-up once a year. The helsesøster was the one who discovered that Kari needed glasses (4yr check up includes a vision test).
Oh and by the way - when your child is registered with a 'fastlege' and you go to the emergency room, the fastlege will get a report from the hospital of the visit so they can include it in their records. I have brought my kid to the doc for like an ear infection and gotten "I see you were at the emergency room a month ago, how are things going now? All is well?" So there is SOME system to it at least, lol
I'm glad your handsome little man is feeling better! :D
So sorry that you got voice mail. I literally don't know how to dial you back which makes me feel powerless. It'd be great to catch up with you this weekend. We'll plug in and listen up. Loved the email from your fabulous husband. Hope Elliot is much much better. I echo your first friend's comments. Both my Atlanta and Denver pediatrician have endorsed alternating Tylenol and Motrin (on their own dosing schedules), so the monkey doesn't go more than 2 or 4 hours without a dose in the case of a high fever or bad boo boo. XOXO
Post a Comment