Sunday, March 30, 2008

Wednesday, 10:30 am in Atlanta

So I am heading back to the States for ten days or so.

DaAnne, AKA the Big D---so named because she is about as non-big as one gets, unless you count her hair, which can be pretty rockin' and sizeable---has breast cancer.

Her surgery is happening on Wednesday morning, which depending on where you are in the world could be any of a number of hours in the day...

4:30 am in Hawaii
7:30 am in California
8:30 am in Colorado
10:30 am in New York
4:30 pm in Stavanger

Just to name a few...

So I am going back to be there for it and for a week or so afterwards.

It's been draining in almost every single way over the past few months. Jumble together the alphabet (MRI, PET, etc...) and she's had the test. The diagnoses have run the gamut from extreme to mild, finally settling on lumps in her breast. And she's been a trooper, working full time and keeping up with her usual way-too-much DaAnne-ness, the whole time.

(Not to mention the "small" event of our wedding, which was in full stressful hyper-speed planning mode when all this started...)

Which brings me to my point.

She's been given a "Sending-Thoughts" pager. It's so that whenever someone thinks of her over the course of the next few days, they can call the pager number and it will ring or buzz or ping or something. And she will know immediately that someone is thinking of her.

And sure there have been loads of study on whether good thoughts or prayer are actually helpful in the medical sense, coming to a variety of conclusions at most points somewhere between "yep, sure does" and "nope, not one single bit."

That is not my concern, because that is not the point, at least not the way I see it.

The point is, I can bet with almost complete certainty that every time her buzzer makes a noise, it will send her a little bit of encouragement. She will know that there are people out there in Georgia or California or Norway who are on her side, hoping that everything will be okay soon.

So, while I won't publish that number here, I would appreciate it if you all could keep Big D in your thoughts over the next few weeks, especially on Wednesday at

4:30 am in Hawaii
7:30 am in California
8:30 am in Colorado
10:30 am in New York
4:30 pm in Stavanger

6 comments:

Wendy said...

consider it done. And girl, you look skinny. xoxo.

Elizabeth said...

love it. both. xo

meowpuppy said...

Hey E! You look marvelous! Tiny! We are all praying for your mother. I'm sure she will pull thru fabulously.

Anonymous said...

Big D is in our thoughts in Stavanger. Hang in there... 4.30 is almost here. Soon, soon.

Dawn said...

I got here from Wendy's blog. I'm in Atlanta and at 10:30, consider your mom on my mind.

Happy, positive thoughts to your mom, to you, and to your whole family.

Also, you don't know me from Adam's housecat, but if there's anything I can do since I am here in Atlanta, let me know.

Elizabeth said...

thanks so so much. more later, but in short, everything is kind of okay here. or at least as okay as it can be right now. i really appreciate everyone's thoughts so so much....