(I'm taking a lesson and then am practicing on the Barnetrekket, which basically means Children's Slope. I'm in black, standing in front of the woman in the orange vest. Yes, I am about to bite it on the Bunny Hill.)
(This is Husband on the tip top of the whole world--not the Bunny Slope-- about to board down. We have significantly different skill levels.)
I am a little paranoid about my engagement ring.
Yes, it may seem silly and most people manage to wear them and not lose them all the time. And diamonds are pretty much unbreakable, being the hardest substance and all of that...
But, as a general rule, I tend to be clumsy and accidently destroy things. If there is a door jam, I will run into it. If there is a step, I will stub my toe. Glasses are not safe in my hands and there is a high chance I will shrink your sweater if given a chance.
So based on three plus decades of experience, there is absolutely no reason to think that I can be trusted with an engagement ring.
So my ring is styled based on those thoughts. It's set low, so there will be no knocking into things and having the stone fly out. It's set in almost an industrial style setting, so that stone is IN it. And it's insured.
So most bases are covered.
But, if we are doing something sporty, I take it off and leave it at home.
So last week, I was searching for somewhere to leave it, while we left town to go skiing.
(There is really no crime in Norway, so the chances of it disappearing were practically nil. Unless you put me into the equation, which ups the possibility considerably.)
So I wanted to make sure Husband knew where it was, so when we got home, one of us could remember and would find it again.
So this is the conversation...
Me: Where should I leave my ring? What if we get burgled? We're going to be gone for four days.
(Long not very interesting part where Husband indulges my craziness, while reminding me that there is no crime in Norway.)
Me: Okay, so I am going to hide it anyway. So, pay attention. I am going to leave my ring right here.
Husband: Brilliant idea. Put it right with your other jewelry, so when the burglar comes in, he won't have to work so hard. He can just open the obvious drawer and it will all be together. It's really quite thoughtful of you.
Me: Okay, so where should I leave it?
Husband: What about your box of tampons? I can guarantee you that no self-respecting burglar is going to be taking those.
5 comments:
I wish I had been as smart as you about my ring! About 3 years into our marriage, I was helping out with a charity fashion show to benefit the animal shelter. Since it was a fashion show, I felt like I should dress nicely, so I had on heels (even though it was snowing really hard and I was working with animals--no, I'm not bright). A beagle seemed to need to go out, so I was walking her, slip sliding through the snow in my heels, when I fell, threw my hands up in the air, and my ring went sailing off. I spent the rest of the day digging through the snow to no avail, I even enlisted the help of the local metal detecting club, plus I scooped up about 30 barrels of snow in the area to melt at home, thinking surely my ring would surface...it didn't, but I did get 30 barrels of sludgy, cigarette butt soup! The worst part is, the ring wasn't insured, as I thought, "Who would be stupid enough to lose a diamond ring?" Me, apparently! Emily
ohhhh nooooo! that is a horrible story! i am so sorry... and that is precisely why i won't wear it when we are skiing. i could see me pulling off a glove and it flying off into the snow and more likely falling so hard i fly apart along with gloves and ring included... ugh, cigarette butt soup....
Who are you crazy people with such slender fingers that your ring flies off?
I nearly have to grease my finger down with crisco every night to get my ring off.
let's just hope no norwegian burglars read your blog...
Smart idea to store it in a box of tampons! teehee!
But there IS crime in Norway. I had my car broken into/attempted stolen three times and our house was burgled, at night, when we were in it, asleep! And we lived in a posh area.
So you are right to worry and play it safe!
Post a Comment