We started Tuesday night at an election party hosted by Democrats Abroad.
Our friend Erin rocked a panel...*
I asked two questions. The first was about hosing the winner ("Should your particular party be psyched if they lose because whoever inherits this mess may be hosed for a second term?").
And my second question was about info gathering in a faraway time zone ("We're way off the American cycle of 24 hour newsgathering. Has that affected where you get your political information?")
Not only was I interested in the answers, but also saw it as a multiple opportunity to:
A) Set up a forum for the Sensible and Clever View to speak up, but also to
B) deflect from the questions along the lines of "Can you explain the American government?" and "Can you explain each candidate's energy policy?"
(Also, I really wanted to ask the Republican why he was so angry, but thought that would sound best coming from an accent other than American, but could find no willing volunteers.)
Then we watched the returns, or at least the coverage, until about midnight.
Then when I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer, Husband and I headed home, where we lounged** on the sofa until 5am watching. Finally we went to bed, reasonably sure of what the outcome could be.
When we woke up a few hours later, we saw the count, read the stats and watched the speeches.
My faith in the American people, which was never gone completely, was bolstered and fully restored.
Even if you remove the fact I just believe Obama is the best man for the job based on concrete reasons, I am exceedingly moved by the overall grace and goodness and forthright compassion in him.
And, I think it really shows that "slow and steady" and --- most of important of all--- honor wins out in the end.***
It just makes it seem that there is potential to get the world back right and warms my tiny, little Pollyanna-ish heart.
________________________________
*This is the link to the English translation, which is a straight translation, so it's not edited for the language change, but still understandable and clear. If you want to read it in Norwegian, click here.
**And by "we lounged," I really mean Husband watched intently, while I tried, but dozed intermittently.
***Look Big D, you were right....
For everyone else, the Big D is full of good advice, even if we only recognize it in retrospect. One her mantras when we were growing up was "Don't worry about what anyone else is doing. You just work hard and do the right thing. Then it will all work out in the end."
(The D also said, "I don't care if you're a ditch digger, just be the very best ditch digger there is." So think on that, too.)
****This is not in any way to indicate who may or may not have gotten BigD's vote this election. She made her own, secret informed decision. This is merely to prove yet again, that the BigD has good sense. Obama used her rules and it worked for him.
1 comment:
So THAT is where the key lime squares went!
Post a Comment