I've been going through old photos today and came across this one...
For years, Megan and I were partners in crime. This particular photos was taken one evening when we were undercover at a starlet's engagement party. The bride was ultra hot for both her role on an HBO award-winning drama, but also for her recent reveal (and numerous in-depth interviews and stories about) her eating disorder.
I was on assignment and had been guest-listed by the club's publicist. And Megan was serving as my plus-one.
The trick was to blend in, while taking notes and still filing by my 2am deadline so it would make the next week's issue.
The slight problems we had to overcome:
--The club was mega-small...One open space upstairs that was roughly about the same size as my studio apartment and one small space downstairs.
--The only people there were the groom's friends and family and the bride's friends and family. And the groom was the bride's manager and had been longtime romantic interests, so pretty much everyone knew everyone else.
--The vast majority of invited guests were Italian Catholics from New Jersey. (Megan is sort of from New Jersey, but she has bright green eyes and flaming red hair and freckles. As for me, I am white and pale, and even when undercover, I drawl.)
But blend we did. Mainly I think it had to do with short, non-specific conversations and constant movement, some of which was in the photo-booth (See photo above).
And of course, I got all the scoop.
And no matter what it is, Megan always shows up to help.
She's showing up in a few weeks, too. When she suggested a visit, I warned her that the excitement level would not be up to her recent graduation from race car school or even her day to day life in New York.
She laughed and said "Well, it sounds like you need a visit and maybe some help unpacking boxes or something."
So while we won't be lurking about nonchalantly, champagne in hand, it promises to be all good.
7 comments:
How fun. I'm jealous! By the way, I read Wendy's blog about you and wondering about the birth. A few things:
1. She's right. Stop reading.
2. When you're in it, you're so in it that everything kind of falls away. Suddenly, you kinda know what you're doing. Really, it's super instinctive. And it'll go by quickly too.
3. The closest way to gauge is usually by asking your mom and sister about their first babies. My labor ended up being a lot like my mom's.
4. You're a positive person so I know you'll have a positive experience.
Anne's right. I *am* right. ;)
On topic, I remember going on similar assignments with you. My favorite was the gay cowboy bar, only seconded by that sad empty club we went to out in Lilburn or wherever that place was. Oh, and that club that was a ripoff of NYC's Bed, when we danced and danced and nearly had our eardrums shattered by the crazy loud music.
Anne---Those are all awesome thoughts/advices...and hopefully it will be like sister's and mom's...both of them said it wasn't great fun, but really wasn't that big a deal...we'll see...I think your #4 is mainly what i have going for me! Thanks....Eeeeks!
Wendy---I haven't thought about that in a while! SOOOOOOOOO funny...Also remember the ongoing drag queen story? You and Jason came to Charlie Brown's with me and not only was it an awesome show (on soooooooo many levels!) but J knew all the words to the Mary J. Blige and performed for us at the table as we watched...Bwhahahaha. It was perfect.... (Also, of course you are right!!)
What a fabulous friend! Sounds like you are going to have a great time - enjoy!
Hi! I stumbled across your blog during an "I'm really bored and must browse the internet to cure this situation" episode. The title caught my eye....as I got engaged, moved to Norway, and got married in the span of two months...how long have you been here? I'm a noob, relatively speaking...moved from Florida on August 25th. I live in the Madla area. Just thought I would say hellloooo!
-Sarah
Cowgirl--Yep, she's pretty great and I'm excited about visiting with her! Thanks!
Sarah-- Hi and sort of welcome to the area, and definitely welcome to my blog! I moved here in early March, though my husband, also American had lived here for about 4 years a while back, so he knew his way around. So you did it all quick, too? That's hilarious and fun. I hope you're settling in well... We're in Storhaug, so not to far away. Let me know if you're ever in town and want to meet up!
Having old friends visit is always so much fun! That picture is adorable, by the way@
Post a Comment