Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Night night

Yesterday, we went for a doctor's appointment. Everything was just fine.  Pickle is all good and kicking.  My bloodwork is A-okay and according to everyone, I will not be round forever.  

But when the doctor asked me how I was, I said "I'm so tired."

I started to explain that I wasn't so comfortable and was having odd dreams, but then just decided to skip it.  

But the truth is, my dreams are nuts.


For those of you familiar with pregnant sort of things, you may know having vivid dreams in the last months before the baby arrives is pretty common. 

And right now, my sleeping hours, when they happen, are packed full of action, color and are more lifelike than I had in years.  

I've been an extra on a Civil War battle scene set, my mid-20s self back in New York and a pregnant go-go dancer with the requisite awesome boots at a sleek bar somewhere with loads of smoke machines.

But most often, when I dream, I am just me, going about my daily life here in Stavanger, but it's in April or May because I've already had the baby and he's still pretty small.

But in my dream this baby looks nothing like Husband or me.  He looks like Wilford Brimley.  

(Yep, that old guy who was in Cocoon, but now shills for oatmeal and "diabeetus.")

Shrink him down into proportionately sized-baby.  Put him in a diaper and swaddle him in a blanket.  Leave one hand free so he can hold his cigar. Make him sweet, but a little bit gruff, then give him the voice of Barry White.  (Yep, the deep, deep bass voiced singer.)

And, in my dreams, we never really do anything.  He doesn't get hungry and thank goodness, I've never had to change a diaper.  

He just hangs out, cradled in my arms.  I hold him while he puffs on his stogie and strokes his mustache and tells me what to do in his Barry White voice.

The orders are not fun Barry White-esque things (you know what I mean) they are more along the lines of "So did you lose the instructions for putting together the crib?" "It's almost time to start cooking dinner." "The dogs look hungry." "Did you order the fabric in time?"  "Do I have enough toys?" 

....that sort of thing.....

So instead of sleeping well, I wake up searching for a pen and paper to add to my ever growing to-do list.

Yes, I know it's nuts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah yes - the dreams! lol! I dreamt that I was at the park with Julia and she was newborn. I sat down on a swing and she looked up at me and smiled - with a full set of adult teeth! Freaked me out!!! lol

Preggy dreams are nuts! - it's awesome that you write about it though - you'll have so much fun reading it in a couple of years!

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! Little baby Wilford with his cigar! Cecilie's dream sounds awfully disturbing as well ha ha!!

Josie said...

Elizabeth, you are one of few who can make me laugh till I about pee my pants! You sister is another one. I am sooo going to start following your blog now. If I could just make mine as entertaining as yours! Btw, you are adorable! ;)

Unknown said...

Hahahahaha! Yes, I know all about the dreams and sometimes they don't stop.