This was taken yesterday. Notice Husband's hands on Elliot's stroller.
When we first arrived, Husband's work hired Tune (TOOOOOOOO-NAH) to help me get acclimated. She drove me around, showed me around town and answered my questions about Norwegian life and culture.
As we wandered, I noticed that often people would walk into shops and cafes with their dogs, but leave their babies in the strollers parked outside.
Why do you wonder?
12 comments:
This was something I had to get used to. Did you hear about the Danish(I think) women who did this is New York and was arrested. Scandinavians all do this and don't think a thing about it. Me, never did it, mine were to old when we got here, but don't think I would. G
I do remember that woman! I was living in New York at the time and the resturant was in my neighborhood. And along with shocking me, I remember thinking that it was on a sunny Saturday with packed sidewalks and that she wasn't even sitting near a window where she could see him.
It happens in all kinds of weather here, as well. I respect the culture, but I will not be doing this ever.
I remember that too! Sitting in NY and thinking "ok, even as a Scandinavian I wouldn't do that in New York City!!" But hey... common sense?
I could never get myself to do it either. I have finally 'graduated' to the Scandinavian 'tradition' of leaving your children in the car while food shopping...however this is since I now live in Norway. Would NEVER do that in NYC either! I only do it if I'm getting 2-3 things - and yet I'm totally paranoid the entire time. Alt least I have two kids in there entertaining each other. Of course it wasn't all that amusing when they had been jumping up and down so much in there that the alarm went off! lol
I had no idea this went on! I hadn't seen it when I was on that side of the country, and on this side, probably because this is a farm town, haven't seen it either. But I'm glad I haven't, I think I would freak out. I've had to explain to my husband that I would not be following certain cultural traditions here (that's a new one I have to add to the list!). One of those cultural things is letting my kids run around naked on the beach. I know it's really normal here, but I could never get comfortable with the idea. And we discussed leaving the baby in the car for ANY reason was a huge no-no. I guess as we go I'll be adding more things to the list, lol...
I'm Norwegian and don't ever leave my child outside like that! I don't think it is so common and a Norwegian cultural tradition! I don't leave my child in a car either. Maybe in Stavanger...? But please stop making this out to be some cultural thing about Norway. I have been in chatrooms for moms where this has been discussed. And the common opinion (between Norwegian moms) is that this is defenitly NOT a thing to do!
Cecilie! You have the wild girls!
Magaly--I would worry about the naked on the beach just because I'd hate to clean out all the sand from the various crevices later on!
Anon---I'm sorry that you misunderstand my point. I am not trying to make anything some sort of cultural thing about Norway. I do not presume to be an expert in any sense. But I can say for absolute certainty that this conversation happened word for word. I can also say that this photo was not staged and also that I have seen groups of strollers with babies inside of them parked en masse outside of cafes and shops with babies inside and no adults next to them on many many many occasions.
OK. So maybe I misunderstood your point. But for your American friends reading this it actually might give them the wrong impression about Norway.
I guess this goes on in smalltowns where people dont even feel the need to lock their doors. Though I didn't think that Stavanger was such a small town. And that it's sort of ok to leave the strollers outside the cafewindow as long as you can see the stroller from inside.
But in Oslo it is not common to leave the child outside. In shops you will always meet strollers inside, and in some cafe's its actually quite difficult to maneuver between the tables because all the moms bring their strollers inside.
I think this was extremely common when I was a kid. I remember commenting to my mom when I was about 10yrs old about this line of 6 strollers standing outside the grocery store with sleeping babies in them (babies aren't left outside while awake I must add). I said "someone might kidnap them" and my mom's reply? "Not in Norway." lol! I think Norwegian young moms today are more careful, but it still happens quite frequently.
Oh and E... you'll be cleaning out sand from all sorts of crevices no matter what - it gets in there despite all sorts of diapering or swimtrunk efforts on your end ;)
I think leaving the baby outside in a stroller is one cultural tradition I would be delighted to partake in - seriously! Although I would be worried about baby being stolen. I leave Snorri outside the coop for 5 minutes and get nervous someone will try to grab him because he is so fluffy.
My friends in Iceland told me that this is so common there that grocery stores have poles outside the stores for securing the prams so the parents don´t worry about the pram coming undone and the babies sailing away.
I guess they sleep more soundly and deeper in the cold, which there is plenty of here!
I have seen strollers with babies in them parked outside cafes in Bergen. But not many, and not often. Especially in the last few years. I think it's safe to say that that's one tradition that's well on its way out of favor.
But I must admit to occasionally leaving one or more of my sleeping children in the car while I ran into the grocery store to pick up a few things--the American half of my brain screaming obscenities at me the whole time, but I did do it. And I'm pretty sure I'd do it again.
The so called Norwegian tradition of doing this is simply because Norway has been such a secure place to live. Low crime-rates and nothing bad has happened, and so on... When you compare us to the US - Norway has been extremely safe!!! But lately this has changed. And we're becoming more anxious. It's sad in a way. Because the reason why moms have left their kids outside in strollers hasn't been because they were uncareful - but because it really used to be safe!
I mean. I used to live in New York. And as a Norwegian I was a bit terrified when I first came there. I was used to Norway, where thing felt som much more safe.
Kristin from Kristiansand
Leaving the baby sleeping outside comes from a strong Norwegian belief that children not only sleep better in cold air, but that it's also very healthy for them because it's a great way for them to get lots of fresh air. It's therefore a win-win... mom gets to chat in a warm cafe and baby gets a healthy and good nap outside.
My mom was horrified that I didn't leave my baby outside for her nap every day while I was living in New York. Even though we had an enclosed and small back yard I would NEVER even consider it. I can feel the anxiety sneak in just thinking about it. I bet a neighbor would call the police if they noticed!
I wonder if I would have done it if I my kids had been babies while Iived in Norway... maybe...
Post a Comment