Tomorrow Husband, Elliot and I are flying to Oslo for a long weekend. The little man needs a passport and the only way to procure one is to show up at the embassy in person.
I'm excited about the trip---Not only because we haven't been anywhere since Christmas, but because I am excited about checking out the embassy experience (which I will report on post-haste...) and most importantly because it will be dry run for Elliot's Debut World Tour.
But first, we needed a passport photo.
(Once the top of his hair got cropped out, he looks a little like a mini-samurai warrior. I like it.)
The requirements for a baby passport photo are the same as they are for an adult or anyone else, including: full face, looking directly at the camera, must show ears, white border, closed mouth, open eyes...
This can present quite the challenge in the case that you have a ten-week old who not only is not well-versed in the English language,* doesn't have total control of his body and also is keen on studying everything around him.
Here are a few tips:
1) Spread out a white sheet and deposit him on it. (Sitting up on a stool in front of a white background is not an option.)
2) Start snapping
4) Then when you realize (58 photos later) that this may be a job best left to the professionals (because who knew that the mohawk** coupled with the precise angles would be a problem), rush to the photo studio for the second time and shell out the 250NOK ($38ish USD) anyway.***
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
*In case you are judging, give the little guy a break. I've lived in Norway for more than a year and I am not totally solid in Norwegian. He's much newer, so let's skate on past that. Also, just between you and me, I am not sure he's one to take orders easily.
**It spikes up of its own accord. I do not discourage this and occasionally train it in various directions. I had to comb it down well to get the one that worked. Mohawks are a bad idea for passport photos because you can't get the white space at the top while still keeping the face the right size. Who knew?
***I was totally against this because there is a photo booth at the police station, right outside of the immigration office where you can take four passport photos of yourself, then choose the best one for 20NOK ($3ish USD). So considering I own both a camera and am in close proximity to the photo subject, I thought I could handle it. I could not. And then willingly handed over the kroner to the nice man with the camera. He cut me a break, too, and only charged me half because I'd already been there once to print out the photo I took.
7 comments:
bwahahahaha! Love it. When Zeke got a passport, we went to a photo place and the way I got him in front of the background was to squat down and sit him on top of my head. So in his photo, you can see my hands coming up under his armpits. And I'd have to double-check with my mom, but I don't think they're all that strict about the closed mouth thing, esp. where babies are concerned.
He's so stinkin' cute. I can't stand it.
That's awesome! On your head! I love it!
In some of the photos (when the photo guy was trying to be lazy and make me hold him upright "the baby is young, but is so strong!") my hand kept getting in the photo. When I suggested we put Elliot on the ground, it all went much much quicker.
(I wish they weren't strict about the mohawk, though. ha!)
Can't wait to see you guys!
Well now I feel inadequated. I didn't get a passport until I was 32 and both of your babies already have one! Humph!
I hope your trip to the US is good, Elizabeth. I bet the family is just crazy in anticipation of meeting E in person.
Hi Elizabeth!
I can't remember if I've ever commented on your posts before, but wanted to say I love your blog, it is so real and funny. You have a beautiful baby, and his passport photo is great!
I actually came across your blog while looking for people to identify with in the whole Americans in Norway situation. I just married a wonderful Norwegian man from Haugesund (just north of you!) and though we are in Washington state now, we will be moving to Norway indefinitely this coming December. I spent all of last summer there, so know the general area, and my Norwegian language skills are coming along really well too. I'm really excited, but super nervous/anxious about the moving process itself, and the whole, you know, being on the other side of the ocean from my family/entire life up until this point...
I wanted to ask you a huge favor actually...I know we don't know each other personally at all, and you have a new baby/global travel plans, you're busy, I know, so if you can get to it, its fine...but if you could give me any advice/information/suggestions on how to execute our move and the transition itself, being an American woman in Norway yourself, I would appreciate it SO MUCH, you have no idea. It's only May, and I can't sleep at night sometimes because I'm thinking about all the things we will have to do, what we will get rid of, and stuff you forget about; cancelling cell phones/utilities here in the states.
OH LORD.
I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, and again if you can't get to this, it's fine too. Have a great and safe trip with your gorgeous family, and I look forward to your future entries!
Thanks again in advance for anything you can offer me!
I have to admit, I like the photo you took wayyy better! What an adorable little guy. It's too bad he won't have any memories of this trip but I'm sure you'll explain it all to him when he's older :P Have fun in Oslo.. there's a really good pizza place I went to that's in the shopping center near the train station... starts with an "E" ? I suck at remembering names.
Also... do you have another baby that I'm not aware of? :P
Hey Kirsten, I would be happy to help you with questions..most of the actual logistics of moving was done by Husband's company, but I know some of it. As for the adjustment, I can tell you about that too. if you'd like. Let me know how to email you. Also, if you go back to the beginning of Striped Socks... you'll see that I wrote about some of the transitions and adjustments....But good luck and I look forward to talking with you more soon!
Magaly, Ha! Thanks! And it's funny...same baby, he's just a little punk rock, sometimes! Also, I've been taking pictures and making notes like a crazy person, so he'll know some of it...When are you coming back around with Varg??? You settling in okay?
Post a Comment