The entire time I was in Georgia, I spent either nursing or stealing a few hours to run an errand or two. There was no time to visit or sleep, really at all.
The one visit I did get to have was with my dear friends, Chris and Mindy.
Mindy works at Emory and in the weeks pre-trip reminded me that I was welcome to come over and sleep in their guest room, even if it was just dropping in...
But I wasn't sure if I was going to do it because I was so overwhelmed and jet-lagged and just tired.
But one night, it was my sister's turn to sleep at the hospital and by the time I left, it was sort of late, at least by standards of people who have jobs that start at 9am and a toddler and a relatively new baby.
And while I formulated a plan, I decided that I needed some cheering up, which in the States, oddly enough, often happens at Target.
Seriously.
I love the Target.
Wheeling around a giant red cart --- that I can fill to the brim and most likely it will, by some Target-generated magic, equal $100 worth of stuff that I don't really need, but may quite possibly make my life complete--- is the best.
(And remember, I've been in Norway for the past two months. Not only is there no Target any where, if there was a Target, it would take at least $1000 to quite possibly make my life complete.)
So that was my plan.
I was going to enjoy the last shopping hour at Target, then go to a hotel room, where I would sleep and not bother any people, even my friends, who have jobs that start at 9am and a toddler and a relatively new baby.
So, I navigated my way to the nearest Target parking lot and got out of my deep red PT Cruiser. (It was the last car on the lot at the rental place and I found it oddly amusing to drive around in a giant tomato.)
I walked through the doors, stood there for a minute and just walked out.
I have been somewhat homesick for my friends and this was my only night, so I did the only best thing.
I called Kathleen in Denver.
Of course I didn't have the right cell phone with the right number to call to let Chris and Mindy know that I was coming over.
And I was too tired to remember the twisty Decatur street, so Kathleen talked me through the directions landing me to the end of Chris and Mindy's driveway.
And, right as I getting out of the car, Chris came out of the house, relatively new baby in one arm, reaching out to give me a hug with the other.
(And people who know me, know the next part is not odd or even an indication of being upset. It's just what I do when I am exhausted. As Big D would say, "Really, you just need a nap.")
I started crying. He didn't bat an eye.
And then we all visited for a while, then I had the best night of sleep I had all week.
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment