Thursday, February 5, 2009

Feminism: U R Doin' It Rong

In anticipation of Pickle's arrival sometime in the next month or so, Husband and I have been taking a Birth Class.  

For those not familiar with the process in these parts, some Norwegians can be pretty particular and mostly opinionated about the "right way" that things should be done. 

And while I respect all sorts of opinions, I am about done up with most of the following phrases:

---Your body is doing what it is meant to be doing. 
---A woman's only purpose is procreation and continuation of human life.
---All natural is the only and best way to give birth. 
---You must .
---We don't treat pregnancy and childbirth like a sickness here, like you Americans do. 

I can go on, but perhaps you get my point.  It's not the opinions, it's the lack of respect for my own. 

But back to the Birth Class...it's taught by a expat British woman and the only one offered in English.  We signed up because it is helpful to get info about how to navigate the system and generally to understand the actual process a bit better. 

But before we started, I looked into the content to see how balanced the information would be and was assured that there was not any bias that all views would be discussed and considered. 

As the classes went on, it's become pretty clear that the instructor is an all natural advocate, which is fine, but not what we were promised and not what I intended to sign up to listen to for 16+ hours (yes, this class is 8 weeks). 

I'm all about the information gathering, but I am not all about getting told what to do. 

Last week, she hands us each an article and says "I didn't write this, but it's pretty much exactly how I feel about things." 

The title of the article is "Labor pain: labor power."  The basic premise of the text is that pain medication is a paternalistic creation to deny women their womanly power.  It goes on to say that without pain, you wouldn't bond with your baby. And that to offer pain relief is to deny mothers and all women their "transformation."  

And more so, that the presence of pain equals a better mother.

Just by the law of averages and general statistics, at least one of the eight women in the birth class will have a C-section. And I've had several friends adopt children and even use surrogacy to create a family. None of which involve the kind of pain touted as necessary in the article. And none of which will be indicators on whether or not she has a strong bond with her baby.

And it claims to be a feminist perspective.

If I remember correctly, I think that feminism is all about having choices, and respecting the choices of others.

Frankly, I think it is about the least feminist article I've ever read.  

6 comments:

Wendy said...

As you and I have discussed, that shit drives me INSANE. If a woman wants to go all-natural in childbirth, then good for her, but the notion that you are somehow not bonding with your baby or missing out on "womanly power" by taking advantage of pain medication is the biggest pile of horseshit EVER. I had an epidural but still experienced significant pain in childbirth, and quite frankly felt like it (the pain) impeded my ability to bond with my baby. Once he was born, all I wanted was for someone else do deal with him for a few hours so I could get some rest.

Nanette said...

If it makes you feel any better...even in good old NYC...most of those classes try to convince you to go all-natural. They certainly don't make you seem like a horrible person if you go the drug route but they do make going all-natural seem like you are experiencing some dreadful rite of passage.

Moral of the story...do what works for you. I went natural as long as I could and then did the epidural which made me much more pleasant to be around and the experience altogether better.

And I hate people telling me what to do too...though I would follow my labor/delivery nurse into war. Hopefully...yours will be good and not too bossy.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much.

Mainly I am just annoyed that we are spending HOURS getting stressed out...even though Husband says "take what we need from the classes, discard the rest," I still have this nightmare that no matter how many "birth plans" we write about the choices we've made, we're going to have to discuss and insist on what we want on the day Pickle arrives.

And that is the last place I want to talk about it...

UGH...but it will all be fine...

Anne Stesney said...

SO freakin' annoying. I mean, I know "martyr" is derived from "mother", but some people need to quit taking it so literally.

It took me until Walt was 6 months to stop being so annoyed with this group of extremists.Dr. Sears to be their leader here in the US. He's a fantastic pediatrician, but I avoid his books at all costs.

Wendy said...

Anne, that's so funny -- it never occurred to me that "martyr" and "mother" are linguistically related, but of course it makes sense!!

CecilieM said...

Some women who are all-natural "activists" are waaay too pushy...you'll probably run into the same thing when it comes to nursing... at the end of the day you just have to choose what is right for YOU!

I know plenty of people here in STVG who got an epidural. They can't deny you if you ask for it. Who gives a flying canoodle if they think you're "too American" or something like that. It's your body, your baby, your birth, and your life - so you just keep standing up for yourself chica!! Anthony's your bedside advocate - he'll fight for you! :D

I had one baby with an epidural and one with absolutely no pain relief what-so-ever. Trust me - I love my babies the same.

You can do this! Anthony will be there! - and if all else fails and you need a loud New Yorker to come down there and raise some heck to get you what you need - well I'll be there in a jiffy! Maybe I'll drag along my husband and ask him to bring out his inner thug for the occasion - hahaha

I can't wait to see you with your little munchkin in your arms :D