Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Some days, my life is a poorly written SNL skit

I love Gawker for a variety of reasons and have spent much too many hours happy hours perusing the site for years.  

I saw this a few days ago and it reminded of Norwegian hospitals.* 

If you're going to have a baby in Norway, you get a letter from your local hospital about 3 or 4 weeks before your due.  That letter instructs you to come in to the birthward to pre-register, which should be a great thing.  

You meet with one of the midwives who will take your info and confirm your details (name, address, etc....).  This midwife is also supposed to make notes about your wishes (all natural vs drugs, language requirements for caregivers, would you like a window, etc....) 

So on the day (or evening) when you came in for the birth, whoever is on duty can pull out your file and be good to go.

This is especially important because the person giving birth (in this case, me) will not have ever met or have ever seen whoever is on duty at that moment.  

The person delivering the baby (in this case, Pickle) will be a complete stranger and just whoever happens to be on duty.  

Yes, the only person I will know at the time will be Husband. 

So when I say this appointment is important, it's because it is. 

Ours was not very successful.  

We had Kari, The Wonder (Mid)Wife.**  

Over the course of our 20 or so minutes, along with our other wishes, we said we'd like a note put into our file that I would like an epidural and that any caregivers should be fluent and comfortable speaking English.

She informed us that because Husband knows some Norwegian, that English speaking wouldn't be as important.***  

And more so, that, if she were the midwife on duty, she'd take an assessment and decide whether or not I could have the drugs, but that it would really be better for everyone if I practiced breathing and used the gas.**** 

After that, I was slightly disturbed, but even more so, when she began chit-chatting while she was typing into our file.... 
___________________________________________

Kari, the Wonder-Wife:  So what do you think of your new president?

Me:  I am thrilled

K, t WW:  Thrilled?

Because I thought she may not have heard me or perhaps didn't understand the vocabulary or some such, I tried again.....

Me:  Thrilled. I think he is a good man and just the right person to deal with the giant mess.  He's got a hard job, though. 

Still nothing.  Just a quick glance and silence.  So I gave it one more try.

Me: But what do you think?

K, the WW:  Oh I don't know.

And, in one last attempt to be cheery, plus clearly she had something to say...

Me: Really? Most people have some sort of opinion.

Kari, the WW: Well, I think a change is good, but I don't; know about a black man. Or any colored really.  And by colored, I mean any colored person other than white. We've only had people that are colored here for about 30 years and I don't think we'd let them run the country.

Me:   Huh. 

Husband, who has been silent until now:   Huh. 

Kari, the WW: Yes, you know how we are here. We like our own people.

Me: That's funny. I guess we just like all sorts of good, brilliant people back in the states.

Kari, the WW:  Well, that's not very Norwegian, is it?
_________________________________________

It was so odd and weird and unfunny, that, in between my rants about the system, we laughed about it until we almost cried. 

I am going to deliver the Pickle in the middle of an SNL skit...and a poorly written, not so funny one, at that.



**************************************************
*Or to be fair, it reminded me of one instance and one midwife in one Norwegian hospital. 

**And no, doctors don't get involved in these parts, unless surgery is needed.

***To be fair, Husband is actually fluent in the Norwegian language, so that note in our file would be valid and totally on point IF Husband was in actual possession of the particular ladyparts from which our Pickle will most likely emerge.  He is not.  I am. My Norwegian is only fluent-ish through Lesson 8 in my textbook.  So being able to ask a shop-person if they have a green sweater in my size won't be as useful in this case.

***The "gas" is the same gas used in the dentist office, in the case you need a bit of drilling.  One friend of mine, who missed the window for an epidural here because they told her to go home.  She took a long walk around the hospital grounds, came back and her daughter was born 90 minutes later.  She used the gas as a last resort and said "It does take the edge off and the mask is useful for screaming into." 

12 comments:

auntjone said...

Oh my. Blantant disregard for your wishes AND racial intolerance all in your first visit? OH. MY.

Love your blog. Long time lurker, first time poster now that I've managed to remember my Google password....

CecilieM said...

OMG!!!!! Holy cow!! I can hardly believe the Obama convo! I have to say that in that regard she is NOT representative of the Norwegian population - who in general LOVE Obama and also think he's the right man for the job.

You must definitely have met just about THE worst midwife...I find it shocking. I told my mom, a nurse who has friends who are midwives, and she could hardly believe her ears. That is NOT the way it's supposed to go.

I'm so sorry you had to meet that wretched woman - who by the way doesn't deserve to carry the name 'Kari' ;)

Wendy said...

Good lord. I think that conversation would have made my head explode, for any number of reasons.

Magaly said...

this is what I have to look forward to in a month, lol :(

Magaly said...

and lol @ my picture on here going along with my comment :P

Elizabeth said...

Aunt Jone---So glad to have you...Lurk anytime and comment when you see fit! Welcome!

Cecilie--- I KNOW!!! That's how I remembered her name...I thought, the real Kari would NEVER say this...and it's not all Norwegians, at all. She was the worst and if we see her whenever we go back, we're going to fire her from the room.

Wendy---Seriously, it was HILARIOUS on all counts, but only because it sooooooooo wasn't. And I think my head just up and gave up. And if it weren't head exploding you would have choked on your chowder.

Magaly---Seriously, I'll bet it will be fine for you. Just don't talk to Kari...she's older, dismissive and horrible. Just be sure of what you want to happen and be firm! Also, are you that preggers already??? Wow! Are you ready? We must find time to visit!

JEDA said...

Wow--just--Wow. That whole dialogue seems almost too surreal to be true. Honestly--who the hell does she think she is?

Very magnanimous to be so--you know--magnanimous about the whole thing. I think I might have had to visit some sort of violence upon that keyboard of hers.

I wish you the very best of luck. I've delivered three babies here and the language was never much of an issue. My first midwife was older and not terribly comfortable with English, but we made it work. My other two midwives were young and very happy to speak English. So it really is the luck of the draw there, which sucks in someways, but as I've understood it you really are perfectly within your rights to say "Nope. Don't like you. Find me someone who'll work with me, not against me."

As for the epidural...they are kind of cagey about it before hand(very annoying) but when it came right down to it, I was never denied.

....this is not strictly true...I was ultimately denied twice, but only because it was all going so fast there was clearly no time for it...but they were very sorry and kind when they told me to just suck it up and push....

My point is, their attitude was not anti-epidural. They would have helped me if they could have. Hopefully it will turn out that you managed to meet with the one hardcore cow on the entire staff, and everyone else will be reasonable and helpful.

Again--GOOD LUCK! Love your attitude. Don't let the assholes get you down!

Magaly said...

Well I'll be 30 weeks on Sunday, so.. kinda sorta. I actually just got my wish and I'm going to give birth in Lillehammer hospital. I met a few of their midwives, 1 obgyn, etc., and they were all so wonderful. We're leaving for the east side (again) in about a week, until I give birth. Until then, I'm pretty free if you have any time to get coffee or lunch or something? Shopping might be dangerous... I have a suitcase full of baby clothes already! But going to stores like Baby Gap and finding pants for $6 was hard to pass up :P Hope you don't get Kari on your big day!

filtersweep said...

The language thing can be an issue no matter what since it seems a large portion of professionals at the hospital are not even Norwegian. When our first was born here, we viewed an birthing video-- in Swedish. I swear ever couple featured in the video was interracial. Then for the birth, we started out with a Danish midwife. We ended up with her again two weeks ago-- and it seemed a bit odd that in the middle of labor she left-- it was shift change. (She was quite excellent, actually).

I haven't seen much political correctness here in Norway in the workplace. But I have heard much worse than "colored."

Best of luck to you. It is too bad they don't offer the same level of service as they do up in the fødeloftet.

Batgirl said...

OMG!! I would have made a formal complaint to the hospital, that is just not on. Whatever she may feel as a private person is her one thing, but to say something like that when she's acting in a professional capacity?!

Fødeloftet is supposed to be nice, but is very focused on natural child birth, I think. So a lot of non-drug ways to take the edge off. My sister wasn't allowed to use it this last time (first two kids there was no Fødeloftet), as she was considered a difficult case (huge babies...). Her experience has been good though, so hopefully this woman was the exception that confirms the rule.

Good luck! :-)

Batgirl said...

Told my sister about your experience, and she reckons you met the same woman she did when she went for her pre-visit. Apparently a right b***h, but you will likely not see her again, she says :-)

Elizabeth said...

JEDA---You know, I may have, if Batgirl's sister is right...which really I suspect she is...in any case, if Kari the WonderWife shows up in my room, she's fired from my case...!

Magaly---Yeah US shopping is a fabulous thing! I hope to see you soon!

Batgirl!!---While I am all for everyone's choices, I am not a Fødeloftet sort of girl...And really, I think it will all be okay...people have been telling me much more heartening stories, including you...and that is NUTS that your sister had the same lady! So glad it was all good for her, too!

Everyone, thanks so much for commenting...I feel much better! You guys are welcome any any time!