Thursday, October 2, 2008

It Does Really Matter (or Please Don't Flip a Bird to the World)




In case you haven't been following the news, there's a US Presidential Election coming up.  

The US economy (which clearly spills over into the worldwide economy) is in dire straits.  It's likely that several Supreme Court seats will come open in the next few years.  We've got several "conflicts" going on around the world, not to mention several non-economic messes at home. 

And that's just speaking in generalities.  

Somewhere in the long, long list of issues the candidates are debating, there is at least one, if not many, that matters to you. 

Whether or not you think you've got a stake in that one issue, believe me, you do.

For instance: 
Maybe you don't have millions of dollars in the stock market, but perhaps you care about the rate you get for your next car loan. 

Maybe you are certain you'll never want or need an abortion, but perhaps you do care about your own right to privacy or have compassion for a victim of a crime.

Maybe you can afford groceries every week, but you really have your eye on a 40 foot schooner and are calculating whether or not your tax return will cover the sales tax.  

Pick your topic, however large or small.  The candidates have radically different plans and thoughts on everything.  The big plan initiatives will trickle down to affect your own life in myriad ways. 

Do your homework and see whose plans you actually agree with and trust.  Read their websites. Listen to them speak and hear what they say. 

(And don't think for a second think that the Vice-Presidential candidate doesn't matter. It does.) 

So vote. 

If you're not registered already, get on it.  

Some states' deadlines hit this Saturday, October 4. 

Both registering and voting are easy and painless.  If you're reading this right now, you have a computer, so click on the sites below.  

Don't trust the internets?  All counties have an office, staffed by real people who will help you. 

And voting, even easier...In some states you don't even have to stand in lines on Election Day in your local elementary school gym. You can vote early.  Perhaps you can even vote via absentee ballot.  

There is no reason not to vote.  

Not only is it convenient, more importantly, it's an amazing, and somewhat unique, right American citizens have. 

All around the world, there are millions of people who would love an election...Not to mention a free election, in which it's okay (and encouraged) to debate openly, then vote without fear of personal repercussion.  

We have the the ability to participate in choosing the direction and path in which our country,  and our own lives will follow. And frankly, much of what this president does will affect the rest of the world as well. 

By not voting, you're not only taking your own freedom for granted, you're also flipping a giant (and prolonged) bird to rest of the world. 

Also, if you're an American citizen and don't vote, please don't complain about the outcome. 

At least not to me.  

___________________________________________

Registration Deadlines begin this Saturday, October 4





-------------------
NOTE:  And in case you don't read the comments, this what Erin wrote below...I thought it was important enough to pull up here....

Here here sister!

And for our foreign friends that just may have been BORN in the US, check out
Vote From Abroad which will get you all set up to vote.

Don't worry, you wont be drafted, taxed, or treated any differently if you exercise your right to vote!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here here sister!

And for our foreign friends that just may have been BORN in the US, check out www.votefromabroad.org which will get you all set up to vote.

Dont worry, you wont be drafted, taxed, or treated any differently if you exercise your right to vote!

Anonymous said...

PS I like your Norge stamps

Elizabeth said...

Thanks! I put your comment in the body, because I forgot about those guys...

And as for stamp...ha!..I didn't know how many it would take so I just smacked on all the ones I had left in the house!

Victoria said...

So funny - we received our ballots yesterday! :-)

I haven't opened mine yet but Mike opened his. He told me if I end up accidentally seeing his after he votes he will report me and I will go to jail.

Wendy said...

Your first name is Anne??

Elizabeth said...

Victoria---That's awesome! I forget why, but once Anthony said something similiar. I told him that it would so not be worth his time. One day I would get out and it would not be pleasant! ha!

Wendy---Yep! But I have never used it. And that is why it was such a hassle to change my name to Elizabeth Cobb Durel. In Georgia, the regular convention would have been Anne Cobb Durel...So it's been a HUGE hassle. Pickle will be called by its first name, for sure!

JEDA said...

I think I might be too late, but I sent in my absentee ballot request yesterday.

Nice reminder!

Anne Stesney said...

Here, here sister. And let's not forget that as women, we owe it do the ones before us who were threatened, jailed and beaten so that we can have this privilege. Thanks, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, et al. (I wonder if her real first name was Anne too?)

Vakker Kvinne said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Nice to finally meet you (well sort of!). Yes, Anthony and I both work together but he hasn’t mentioned that you’ve been following my big “adventure” blog. But I’ve seen you on facebook as invited to the party Lani and Mary are hosting for Halloween. I think it is going to be loads of fun, so I’ll probably see you there if you guys end up coming. :)

About the turnip greens-do you know the green grocer in Marerio (sp)-the one near Obs? They said they’d just give me (for free) turnip greens if I called them (and the turnip supplier) in advance to let them know how much I wanted and when I was coming in. I haven’t done it yet because I haven’t ever made a pot of greens in my life (only cleaned them a million and a half times-thanks Mom!), mainly because I can’t see myself making a huge pot just for me and my guy to much on. I made a huge soul food style Thanksgiving dinner last year that my in-laws liked a lot-to my utter shock! Who ever thought you’d see Norwegians grubbing on candied yams and cornbread stuffing-too funny.

The “spicy” yogurt dip/sauce/spread I actually used on tacos and with veggies as a dip. I also sprinkled some into minced chicken meat one night and use the meat mix to make a taco salad along with other chopped veggies. It was yummy!

I could see the spicy yogurt used with chips too or on anything thing bready. I’ve been using “Vestlands Lefse” (in most of the stores-its dehydrated, so you have to wet it and let it reconstitute. Since the bread is thicker, it takes stronger flavours well) as a base for individual pizzas, sweet stuff and cut up, then toasted as chips (kind of like pita chips). For myself, I’ve found it interesting to take traditionally Norwegian food stuff and make it my own by doing stuff with it. I’ve yet to conquer the boiled potato though-but anyone who can “spice” that up is a way better cook then I. I’m so sick of boiled potatoes here-seriously-I’m on strike! Hee hee

Are you originally from Georgia? I’m originally from Tucson (Arizona) but my parents are from the deep South. I grew up having a big “soul food” spread for dinner every Sunday, on special occasions plus holidays and during the week when my folks couldn’t be bothered to make other stuff. I loved all of the stuff they made for the most part-and still do. Unfortunately however, since I come from a family of amazing cooks, I never really learned to make any of that stuff until I started moving around, and especially not until after I moved to Europe almost 4 years ago.

I don’t know about you but I started having midnight cravings for corn bread and beans and candied yams almost from the day I arrived on the Continent. Ingredients were much easier to get in Hannover (Germany) where I lived before here, because there was a huge Turkish and African population in the city. I lived near the city center and had 4 huge Turkish or African food stores within 5 minutes walking.

I miss the extensive (in comparison) food diversity of Hannover to Stavanger, but I try to cook something lovely on the weekends just to enjoy what I like. I imported a crock-pot from Germany when I moved, and you better believe I make one mean pot of chili in it!

Moving here has been a blessing-because I finally learned how to make some yummy soul food stuff-but a curse too. If only because ingredients can be very hard to find (like my current quest for Spanish smoked paprika powder-although I got an email this morning directing me to Midletons in Tasta) or just too damn expensive. I tend to find that it’s not IF you can get ingredients in Stavanger but it’s how much do you want to pay for it. And if it is something like American convenience food or a spice/herb-be ready to pay. Especially for stuff that gets used around Thanksgiving time-pie crusts are a gold mine for the owners of Ultra and Helgø and rubbed (not chopped sage) does not exist in Norway. I tell you, if I ever leave my current job, I’m becoming a food importer in Norway. Although, in all fairness, I must say, I love both stores despite the extortionist prices!

The “ethnic” food stores (mainly the ones in downtown Sandnes) carry loads of soul food ingredients which is great. I found Louisiana Brand hot sauce about a month ago at one place for next to nothing so I bought 4-5 bottles. I’ve also found cornmeal (usually the Italian polenta variety), black eye peas in the can, pinto beans (dried-the healthfood store across from Meny-near the Stavanger pool-stocks organic pinto beans for the same price as I’ve found for the normal ones at Midlethons in Tasta), the Norwegian version of ham hocks (at Obs) and some other stuff. The healthfood store near the Stavanger pool also stocks loads of other organic stuff, vegetarian food items, a fuller range of celestial seasonings teas and fair trade items if that’s your thing. I tend to go there because my boyfriend knows the owner, but even if, I’d probably still go for the variety she seems to have.

I’ve been thinking about trying to start a supper club (folks get together to make stuff or do potluck dinners) for a while now. Some of the gals I worked with in Tucson and I had one and it was so much fun! If you are interested in joining, let me know. I don’t wanna post my personal email address on your blog, so try to tag me on Facebook and we’ll hook up :)

I see I’ve gotten way too long winded on my reply, but glad to finally “meet” you.


Take care,


Whitney

Anonymous said...

I've just sent mine in too! I think I might finally get to fulfill my goal of voting for a winning presidential candidate...cross your fingers!

Thanks for the reminder - I almost forgot to do it.